General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Taurus electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Default Taurus electrical problem

I own a 95 Taurus about 170,000 miles old. I noticed my battery light coming on a couple days ago and my headlights and interior lights getting dim. Last night after a 20 mile drive, I attempted to start the engine immediately after I pulled in the drive way and shut down. It labored quite a bit like the battery was dieing. This morning I cleaned off the terminals (which were pretty bad, one terminal had corroded almost the entire battery cable connector. I have about 1/8 inch left of the connector.) This morning it started very strong. As the engine was getting warm I heard a cycling sound under the dash similar to the sound you hear from the turn signal completing its circuit. I have a 20 mile freeway drive to work but at the end, it seemed the car wanted to quit. My headlights were almost gone. I attempted to start the engine again after I shut down and I couldn't get anything. Just a click. I'm pretty much a car idiot, (case in point: the badly corroded battery cable connectors.) any suggestions on pain level of the repair will be appreciated.

Jason

Old 11-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Taurus electrical problem

It was a bad alternator.