General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 10:34 AM
Default Transmission Identification

Hello, I am new here. I have come across a lot of Ford parts and I need help identifying them.
Firstly, I wanted to identify these transmissions and the cars/ trucks that they could have been in.
Transmission 1: P85GT-7006-ACR 1-6069-D F1

Transmission 2: D2AP7006AA 27

Old 12-30-2020, 10:09 AM

I have tried searching the VIN's above, but no luck. Any recommendations?

Old 01-30-2021, 07:45 AM

I did a little poking around on the interwebs with your numbers... According to another forum, that second tranny is either a C4 or an FMX. If the sections are all aluminum, it's a C4. If the main body is iron, it's an FMX. Also, count how many bolts hold the pan on. There should be info on the interweb about tranny identification via pan shape and number of bolts holding it on.
If anything, take your pictures and part # info to your local trusted transmission shop. They should be able to quickly tell you what you got. Let us know what you find out!!!!

Old 01-30-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RacingRoger
I did a little poking around on the interwebs with your numbers... According to another forum, that second tranny is either a C4 or an FMX. If the sections are all aluminum, it's a C4. If the main body is iron, it's an FMX. Also, count how many bolts hold the pan on. There should be info on the interweb about tranny identification via pan shape and number of bolts holding it on.
If anything, take your pictures and part # info to your local trusted transmission shop. They should be able to quickly tell you what you got. Let us know what you find out!!!!
Thank you very much. I will be sure to do that the next time I am around these transmissions. Currently, I am back in school for my Spring semester and I will not be around the transmissions again until March 14-21. Thanks again! I am also wondering what the sitting value of these transmissions. I will be selling them "as is." Let me know what you think a fair asking price is.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:47 PM

That's a tough question on value. Are they in working order? How many miles are on them? How rare are they? This would be another question for your transmission shop. Check with junkyards and "pick your part" places. See what they sell them for as a starting point for your price. They're only worth what someone will give you, or scrap value (your local metal recycling place can tell you how many cents a pound they give. In other words, not much). Another thing you can try is see what similar transmissions have sold for on eBay and similar sites (not asking price, but what they actually sold for. I think you can see that if you "watch" an item and check when the auction has ended). Good luck!!!

Old 02-01-2021, 07:13 AM

I am pretty sure about this. The first one is a A4LD.. They were popular with Ford Rangers. Yours looks to be for older models since it is a hydraulically controlled unit, as seeing the vacuum modulator on the side..The second is an FMX. They were used on 60's and 70's vehicles. I remember our Torino had one.The give away is the iron gearbox as seen with the rust present. Having had several C4's and a C5, which are basically are the same in appearance, your second one is not a C4/5. As far as value, won't be as much as a junkyard because they would typically offer a short warranty which I doubt you would. They would be a gamble for anyone who was not planning on overhauling before installing.

Last edited by raski; 02-01-2021 at 07:23 AM.