General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

v6 2.5L mazda (probe gt) backfires with accelleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Default v6 2.5L mazda (probe gt) backfires with accelleration

Quick and dirty: my Probe GT sports a 2.5L V6 Mazda engine and whenever it has a load (hills, accelleration, etc) it backfires but still speeds up. Higher revs will lessen the backfires
(3500 - 4500 rpm). Also, once in a while when I'm coasting down a hill to a stop and the clutch is engauged the engine will die (engine is forced to idle because I'm coasting in with the clutch). I can restart it with no problems and it drives fine before and afterwards.
In humid weather, it's especially bad so i sprayed my engine with a hose yesterday and turned on the car and it ran just as badly though the weather was nice. Naturally, I replaced my rotor cap and button and plugs and I'll do the wires tomorrow but if that doesn't fix the problem I'm at a loss.
I've replaced the fuel filter and added a cold-air intake as regular parts of my tune-up but that didn't really help much. One last thing, I've heard that my knock sensor could be causing the problem by reducing the engine timing and tricking the car into acting this way. As well, I've also heard that it might be my fuel pump but that would be a last-resort thing because it's in the tank.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan