General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

will lucas or restore cure smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Default will lucas or restore cure smoke

ok new here. I know this is going to cause all kind of arguments but im looking for some advice. I want to start by saying I have always thought of lucas and the like as a last ditch effort by people to sell a junk car and have never messed with them. I fell its better to replace the parts causing problems. that being said, here is where im at. bought a 01 mustang gt auto 4.6 with 130k for the wife. I wanted to buy a v6 and build her one cause you know 9 out 10 stang are going to be raged on unless its an old mans over price baby, but have too many projects right now. spent first 2-3 day fixing little thing and tune up. during those days did not smoke a lick and I beat on it a little to see if any gremlins would come out. car runs great very strong. changed oil yesterday and now today when I leave from a stop there is a puff of smoke. so you know its ether coming in from ring or valve seal. first thought was valve seals so did some research and seems 4.6 valve seals are a common problem. I would like to get 6 months to a year out of this engine without tearing into the engine so I can finish my f150 cummins project and build a new 4.6. I figure that the previous owner already put something in engine to stop smoke but don't know what and would like to put the same thing till I can put in fresh engine. some of me says just pull the heads and fix but I don't know what was put in to stop smoke, how long it would last, and is bottom end good enough to put money into heads. like I said car runs strong and did not smoke till I changed oil. thank you and let the fighting begin.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:41 PM

Lucas won't affect the smoke in this case. Time between Oil change and another service?
Did you verify the oil level before changed or measure the oil volume drained?
Condition of the plugs? Clean plug tubes? PCV path clean?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 PM

if there are ash deposits on the center electrode of the spark plug its leaking valve stems seals.
the po may of had a thicker oil. try a lucus product...I with you though; its all snake oil.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

wanted to try this stuff...