New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1998 zx2 power under load problems

Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Default 1998 zx2 power under load problems

Hi I think that I am making this post in the right place I have never used this site before. I have a manual 1998 zx2 2.0 DOC with 165k on it. Last week it has had a small loss of power when accelerating hard or going up a hill. When I pushed the peddle less then half way to the floor it seemed to accelerate normally for that type of pressure...if I pushed it harder it would start to misfire some, shake a little and not have the power that it should, maybe a 50% power loss at that point. Today driving to work it lost lots of power and the check engine light came on flashing rapidly. When I give it ANY gas now the light will flash at me but if I keep my foot off the gas and coast it just stays solid (not sure if this helps or not) I am no mechanic by any means...my guess was that maybe the filter was clogged or a possible injector after doing a little reading about it online. I bought some injector cleaner and the problem is now worse. Before buying it when I would start the car it would start and idle just fine....it would also rev up just fine with just a very small hesitation, the loss of power seemed to only happen under load with the peddle more then 50% of the way to the floor. Now it wont start half of the time unless I give it lots of gas and sputters and dies right away unless I keep the peddle halfway down...and even then it bogs out and wants to die just in neutral. It takes no load at all...just driving up the street now it will die. This has been my back up car for many years so it has been driven rarely but my main car bit the dust a few months ago so its had a lot more use since then as now it is my only car. One other thing that I am not sure if it may be related, A couple years ago the cover of the catalytic converter came off making the car pretty loud (ok.. very loud ) I never worried about it because the car was pretty much never driven but I read a couple things that a clogged converter might give me the same type of problems I am having?? I recently started a job where I am not making nearly as much money and we have 8 kids at home so I am trying to find the least expensive way to do this. My wife does have a van but I will hate having to take it and leave her car less so I am hoping to fix this tomorrow. I do hear a sound when I turn the key coming from the fuel pump. My first guess is the filter or plugs? Then possible an O2 sensor or an vacuum leak maybe? Any help would very very appreciated!!