New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

87 Ford AXOD

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Default 87 Ford AXOD

I'm new to this site but not Fords.My first Ford was a 56 Tbird then my 68 Mecr Parklane Convert. They are long gone but I now have a 70 Ford LTD Squire Wagon, 86 Ford F350 Dually and a 87 3.0L Ford Taurus Wagon.

The 87 Taurus is the one I need to repair. After tons of personal time and money getting the engine worked over and running quite well, the transmission poops out. A loud bang while pulling away from a stop light and suddenly no forward gears only reverse. The shop cost to rebuild is prohibitive and I want to rebuild the AXOD transmission in the Taurus myself. I've got a ATSG AXOD Manual and a ATGS AXOD update Manual coming from ebay. I also found and ordered an original Ford AXOD Disassembly and Assembly Manual. I do almost all my own work except I've never attempted to rebuild any type of automatic transmission before. But there has to be a first time for everything and this AXOD rebuild will be it. Anyone out there have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, hints, experience that could help me do this job correctly the first time out. I want to use quality parts and make any modiifications and or updates to make this transmission as reliable as possible.
Thanks.