New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Brand new car getting paint job...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Default Brand new car getting paint job...

Hey everyone!
So heres the story.. I just bought a brand new 2013 black on black Mustang GT. The car was at another dealer 900km away so the dealer where I live went n got it. The day I took delivery they showed me some spots on the hood and roof where there were about 10 spots about 1/16" little craters in the paint. When I say crater I mean it almost looks like drops of acid or bug junk that sat on the paint and ate away at the clear coat.. The manager at ford said it looked like acid rain.. my neighbour said theres these certain bugs that can lay eggs and eat away the paint.. either way upon delivery they said they will fix the issue and theyll need to be buffed out... so im already not too happy but so anxious to get my new car so I sign the papers for the original price agreed to the week before (the price before knowing the paint damage) and I drive off.. we made an appointment two weeks later to have the paint fixed at some collision center in town and they said itll be covered under ford warranty.. so the collision center has had it for a week now and still need time on it since its a bigger job than expected... I was told theyre probably doing a full paint job but never specified a "complete" full paint job like factory or just a cheap fix... I guess my concern is should I try to go back to the dealer and try to ask for some cash back? A new car? Or should I wait to see what the car looks like after the new paint? Is there any ford policy about this in Ontario or is this all just wishful thinking or maybe im over thinking this. My neighbour says car will depreciate with the new paint. And if the new paint isnt 110% then itll show especially if they only paint the hood and the roof.. sorry for the long post but im sure someone feels my pain and has some insight.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Yeah,, nothing more frustrating when someone steals the new car feel from you.

Cars and trucks do get damaged in transit,, and even on site by Ford employee's/tech's when in for service or repair. Sometimes just on the lot (door dings/dents)

So,, 'Black'...

With the understanding that things do happen, my concern would be the extent of the repair/repaint, and who was doing the work. Years ago, we used to see quite a few vehicles coming through with the 'peeling paint' issue from poor adhesion issues. They were joking called, ‘paint curtains’ hanging on the vehicles.. The whole industry was affected, and more than few manufacturers.. I saw all different quality repairs, by all different shops. Sometimes only partial painted, sometimes were completes. Then,,, they used to do a ‘tape test’ where a suspect area was taped, then, yanked up.. If the paint was on the backside of the tape, that was a good place to repaint. Problem was,, a lot of the other area’s even though not peeling ‘yet’, soon could. They tried painting from the belt line up,, but most (after problems) got completes. A lot of times color matching became a problem, and complete was a better fix for the sharp eyed owners..

To do a paint complete, all the trim and moldings need or should be removed so the paint goes under them. If not, and the 'tape line' or paint finish edge shows,, or any color against or over the trim ect. is an easy heads up that the car not only was painted, but a rush job. A quality complete repair can be hard to tell, same with a panel repair or two, as long as the 'blend' area was done correctly.

My personal feeling would be to see how it comes out,, if it doesn't look ‘factory fresh’, I'd refuse the car.. Some shops can put a better than OEM finish. If the manufacturer is
picking up the tab, usually not.

Most anyone with a critical eye, can tell if a car has been repainted. I'd also want an extended repair warranty for the repaint. Wouldn't want any issues, or disagreement on 'who' painted ‘what’ and ‘when’ if it needed to go back for some reason at a later date.

Point being, you’re entitled to the car you ordered, new, but certainly with maybe a tad of understanding and reasonability.. However, if your not ‘completely satisfied’ (Fords Survey) I’d refuse to take possession.. My .02

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info Hayapower.. I get the car back tomorrow so hopefully it turns out good! What i've been told is that they painted the roof and hood of the car and the job comes with lifetime warranty. Anyway can't wait to get it back and get out of this ford focus with ecoboost... ewwwwwwww. anyway i'll post back when i can!