New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

ETB Problem or Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Default ETB Problem or Transmission

My mother owns a 2008 Ford Edge. For the last year the truck would give us a transmission warning light and would throw the truck into limp home mode. When we would stop and wait 5 to 10 minutes the light and the limp home mode would turn off and the truck would go back to normal.

We wouldn't get the problem for another 3 months or so. Well our family moved from idaho to nevada. The problem happened again. I did some digging and found out it sounds like it has a electronic throttle body and ecm problem. But we decided to take it to Ford for a check up to see what codes and or problems they say it is having.

Well, we finally hear back. This dude is telling us that they either need to tear it apart for $2100 to see what the problem is or buy a new transmission for $6100. They say the codes keep coming up randomly but the last three codes they got are. P1783, p0717, p0715. I have a big problem with them saying it's a transmission problem. For one, we just drove 600 miles from idaho to nevada and other then the light and limp home mode it had no problems with the transmission. The car only has 108,000 miles on it so far. I put new transmission fluid in it before and no metal chips or discoloration in the old fluid at all. So they say it's either a blockage, a few parts or the whole transmission. From the moment we took the truck in this dude has tried to upsell us on new motor mounts, new spark plugs and now this.

From the research I have done this is showing etb & ecm problem. I have found thousands of others that have had the same problem. Saying this etb & ecm will give you all kinds of codes that will show up that actually are not the problem. Even the three codes they gave me seem to point to the actual problem. But I have these guys telling me I and the internet are wrong and they stand buy their assessment.

I have a hard time believing their assessment. Should I install a new etb myself or have them crack it open and fix the transmission problems.? $6100 bucks is a no go. For that kind of money I might as well buy a new vechile. So am I wrong or right?.