New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Default New to the forum

Gents, my name is Eric. I am 29, live in NY(Long Island) I have an 86 F150 straight 6 which I just picked up for $1500 and restored. It came out mint, now I have some mechanical stuff to fix up. It has roughly 77k miles on it. It's a 4 speed. It does have a small/slow what looks to be oil leak. It also doesn't ever turn over on the first turn. So, spark plugs and wires, any advice?

Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site Eric.. Clean truck!

So,, how does it run/idle once it starts? Is it only cold start issues?, or any time on startup?

Idle strong and stable once off the fast idle cam? The 1bbl carb was usually a good unit but some tended to rattle loose over time between the throttle plate and main carb body sections and would bleed air. Just something to check, as well as a good operating choke plate, and accelerator pump for a sufficient stream/prime for first starts. And for any unmetered air bleeds like PCV, manifold, carb base gaskets etc. or any other secondary lines.

Certainly others that could cause harder to start condition, but if only colder starting concerns, and a stable idle and general engine performance is good, chances are tune up pieces are working as the should.

Never hurts to know what you have though as far as replacement ignition goodies, or engine comps cold, as well as the checks noted..

Old 09-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Hey man! Thanks for the post comments.

So after it turns over it idles rough for a couple seconds and then it drives like and runs like a champ. No issues.

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site Eric.. Clean truck!

So,, how does it run/idle once it starts? Is it only cold start issues?, or any time on startup?

Idle strong and stable once off the fast idle cam? The 1bbl carb was usually a good unit but some tended to rattle loose over time between the throttle plate and main carb body sections and would bleed air. Just something to check, as well as a good operating choke plate, and accelerator pump for a sufficient stream/prime for first starts. And for any unmetered air bleeds like PCV, manifold, carb base gaskets etc. or any other secondary lines.

Certainly others that could cause harder to start condition, but if only colder starting concerns, and a stable idle and general engine performance is good, chances are tune up pieces are working as the should.

Never hurts to know what you have though as far as replacement ignition goodies, or engine comps cold, as well as the checks noted..