New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Girl Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Default New Girl Here

Hi everyone! I'm new here to this forum but not to forums in general. I'm usually over on the Jeep side of the internet but do have a couple Ford trucks in our household as well. I have an '08 F-150 and my husband has a '99 F-250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel. That's why I'm joining. His truck has issues. It's cold here in MI and his has developed a mean temperament so he's been having to drive mine.
It starts while plugged in, but, after he goes somewhere and can't plug in it won't start. We all know that it's not always convenient to run your extension cord to plug in our trucks.
Any ideas?
Susan

Old 01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Girl Here

Welcome to the site..

First thing to check would be the glow plug relay.. It's located on the top/front portion of the engne and looks like a starter solenoid.. Check the connections, and look for any bulging or burning of the relay and/or evidence of high heat.. There's an updated replacement relay available..

Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 AM

Hayapower is right-on.The relay is areal common problem with the powerstroke diesel. Easily test the relay by connecting a test light across the two little terminals and activate the glow plugs by turning on the ignition. Ifthe test light comes on, the signal to the relay is good. Next, connectthe test light's clip to engine ground. With the ignition off again, touch each of the big terminals on the relay. One will cause the test light to light... this terminal is connected to battery positive. Now, cycle the glow plugs on again. The opposite big terminal should now be getting power. If not, the relay is bad. NOTE: Mid 1999 and newer trucks will appear to have two glow plug relays, but the one toward the front is for the intake air heater.The one toward the rear of the truck is the glow plug relay.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Welcome to the site reddeviltj.

It appears that this is "THE" place to get the correct information. A lot of great advice.

Enjoy
Ron

P.S. What style Jeep do you have?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Welcome reddeviltjto the Ford Forums. I think you are in good hands here, good luck.

P.S. I shiver in me timbers to even think how cold it gets for you. I grew up in the Deserts of California, so I have no Idea what it feels like to be that cold. Even here in Korea where I am working the temperature rarely drops below 25 Degrees F. Brrrrrrrrr