New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new guy..advice about disassembly of hubs on 04 f-250

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Angry new guy..advice about disassembly of hubs on 04 f-250

my 04 f-250 superduty 5.4 wanted to, for the longest time, pop into four wheel. not at the selector, but in the hub. It was like it was'nt dissengaging all the way, and then, at random, would just try to engage. (the sound of the spline trying to find it's home....like grinding clicking.) anyways, after popping in and out with the auto selector, finally, I thought it completely dissengaged. but now, at low speeds, I can hears that slight click sound in my driver side hub. same sound as before, but on a much smaller scale. any body think it could just be rustier than all hell? And I do have manual lockouts, anyone think the problem could reside in the lockout portion. Too bad the lockouts are so rusted in the hub, I literally can't get them m'er f'er's out! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Just pull them out and look I've never seen any rusted. just be carefull getting them out , if you hit them with a metal hammer you will bend it and ruin the locking part. if it is still good

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM

That is what I am trying to do......the lockouts are literally froze in the hub. bought it with 30k on it, but orig. owner obviously never did his maintenance. now I am doing it all......in tenfold.....but that's what you get when u buy used. Just wondering if anyone out there has any tricks, besides destroying the lockout, and replacing with new one. that is my next step...cut off, and beat and pry out. like I said, these are STUCK. rubber mallet...no prevail...alot of penetrating oil, and even some light raps with a reg. mallet....no prevail. I know these lockouts, and know how easily removable they are, just hoping someone has had the similar prob., and how'd they deal with it.