New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new member, old carb '78 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Default new member, old carb '78 f-150

Hi everyone,

I recently puchased a '78 f-150 with a 300 c.i., manual on the tree. It runs sound, however, I've been to the junkyard to do some upgrades. Since I know absolutely nothing about how trucks operate, I would appreciate any answer to my beginner questions. First, let me say that I believe you can do anything that you put your mind to and I have since purchased some basic tools and literature to get me started on this endeavor. My plan is to put back itto stock with a few custom options. Second, these questions really will be somewhat simple and as I am a somewhat simple man, I pray you can bear patience with me.

OK, here we go.
1. I have two single barrel carter carbs and I'm trying to find the model number for each. Neither has a tag, however I do believe they are YFA models. On the bottom of the throttle bodies are stamped 7174S (on truck as purchased) and 7460B (remanufactured and puchased from the junkyard). Are these the correct model numbers or am I missing something? Research online at the carburetor doctor has identified that these model numbers would fit my truck and the truck from the junkyard.

2. What is the wire on the back of the choke thermostat used for and where does it plug-in? The junkyard carb came with many different lines that I disconnected (I believe the truck was an '83 f-150), but my truck did not have the same vacuum ports,vents or tubes so I did not need these lines. Both carbs have the wire leading from the back of the choke termostat.

3. Does anyone have a schematic for thes carbs online? I have a Chilton's guide to feedback carbs I got from the library but it is somewhat confusing because the pictures don't quite match exactly tothe carbI can hold in my hand. Also, I ould love to find a hard copy of the ford truck shop manual. They've got dvd's, but I'd like to add to my collection of material.

That's a start. I'll be back for more. Thanks for the help.

"Keep on truckin'".