New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Power liftgate won’t close

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Default Power liftgate won’t close

I have a 2009 Lincoln navigator that the power lift gate will open using any control but will not close using any of the controls. There is no sound when you push any of the buttons. I’ve tried resetting the power liftgate and I’ve checked and replaced all fuses connected with the liftgate I’ve checked the battery and found it needed replacing and did so. I know this is the Ford forum but the Navigator and the Expedition are basically the same. Please help thank you very much

Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 PM

Try this first.

Power liftgate initialization.NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate correctly under the following conditions:
  • A low voltage or dead battery
  • A disconnected battery
  • Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker
  1. NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.
    Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).
  2. Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).
  1. If liftgate is not already in the fully closed position, manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.
    Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
  1. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:12 PM

If that does not work then turn off the power liftgate option in the instrument cluster and manually close it feeling if there is any binding. Binding would indicate a mechanical issue, no binding would indicate a electrical issue.

I would be curious if the pinch strips are ok, it is on the side of the hatch, see below. Complete a visual inspection and if you do not see anything obvious then I can post electrical diagrams for diagnosing if you are comfortable doing electrical diag.
Remove the taillight assembly and you will see the electrical connector for the pinch strip, it is mostly round.

Last edited by scott.butler4; 07-08-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Default Liftgate won’t close

Thank you for the information I’ll give that a try and let you know if it works or what I find out.
Again thank you very much