New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

wont start when warm problem e50 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Default wont start when warm problem e50 7.3

Hello can any one help with this problem , drove a e350 powerstroke 7.3 1995 550 miles to France starting and stopping with no problems at all , im in England by the way. took it on a ferry drove another 100 miles parked it up went to move it would not start . Next day went to it it started , switched it off it wouldn't start again, it now starts once a day when cold when its started it will drive for ever without stopping its only when switched off it will not start. What has been to do it since is a new camshaft sensor replaced no difference to it.checked for air lock in fuel tank that's ok.tried the gear change lever that's ok. took it to a garage in France they looked at it got it started 15 times by messing around under the dashboard i took it away again the same thing happened started wont start when warm. the garage said bring it back we will have a look at it its been there 3 weeks now they said they need a wiring diagram , it does not have seemed to moved in 3 weeks ,can any one help me source one please , the problem is im English and do not speak French so its a problem as they dont fully know what im saying and vice versa but this would help out a lot , and has any one else had this problem econline powerstroke 7.3 1995 350 its on a camper Fleetwood Tioga Kind regards Dave

Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

A little confusing on the post. Your saying it 'will' crank over when warmed and 'not start up',, or the engine will not crank when heated?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Hi thanks for the welcome to the site hayapower .its a E350 not e50 i have changed the name from van bay as it would not let me back on ! anyway what the vehicle does is turn over untill the battery goes flat there does not seem to be a problem with the starter it spins really fast and does start it from cold its when you turn it off it cant be started again for another 24 hours leave it over night go back to it give it a heat and it starts up ok.

Last edited by davecando; 11-16-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well,,, Welcome again

Does the shop that you take it to have a scan/diagnostic tool? Guessing not.

First place I'd look is,, PSD's need a 'minimum' of 500lbs of high pressure oil to pressurize or for the 'push' for injection since their hyd. controlled units. When cranking, the pressure needs to hit that mark or it won't start. Same with cranking speed, there is a minimum cranking speed that has to be met. Hot batteries and a good charging system at all times are a must on PSD's.

Could be the IPR (injection pressure regulator) valve or the ICP (injection pressure control) sensor, and the 95 vintage had problems with the O rings on the injectors bleeding oil and once the oil thins with normal heating,, they have trouble building start pressures warmed and cranking. Generally a no start warm issue wouldn't happen overnight though. Whats the mileage on your van?

You might try and unplug the ICP and see if it helps on the start. Its on the left/driverside head (forward) pointed in towards the valley of the engine. Could be a dying high pressure pump as well . There's a plug on top of the high pressure oil reservour (center/front of the engine) that should be checked for full as well, usually 3/4-1" from the top. Usually a level drop there happens after some 'sit time' though but shouldn't be ruled out.

You can check for correct cranking pressure with a DVOM meter, or can manually check pressures at the head. Depends on the shops equipment, and abilility..

If they have a decent diagnostic tool that will cover your model, or can find one, and can access the system PIDS (information display) it will show the cranking pressure indicated, as well as IPR/ICP values, cranking speed, DTC's ect. Was there any CEL/check enging light?

Sounds like your van is kind'a a Trojan Horse in their shop, hopefully we can help from here, although I dont speak French either

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 PM

Welcome to the Forum! Another posibility that entered my mind is Glow Plugs. If I understood it correctly, it wouldn't start cold? You should have continuity to ground and all the outer pins of the wires that go to the Valve cover connector on both sides. You can unplug the connectors (be careful) and check that easily enough. Also, when the key is switched on, do the glow plugs have power to them?
You can check the fuel pressure on these easily also, by connecting a fuel pressure gauge and checking it while cranking.
I would also like to hear about any diagnostic trouble codes. And Also, does the check engine light come on while the key is on and the engine off then go out when you crank it?
Please let us know.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by greasemark
Welcome to the Forum! Another posibility that entered my mind is Glow Plugs. If I understood it correctly, it wouldn't start cold? You should have continuity to ground and all the outer pins of the wires that go to the Valve cover connector on both sides. You can unplug the connectors (be careful) and check that easily enough. Also, when the key is switched on, do the glow plugs have power to them?
You can check the fuel pressure on these easily also, by connecting a fuel pressure gauge and checking it while cranking.
I would also like to hear about any diagnostic trouble codes. And Also, does the check engine light come on while the key is on and the engine off then go out when you crank it?
Please let us know.
Hi it starts when cold , the problem is once its been started and turned off it will not start again untill again untill its cold then it starts ok again Regards Dave

Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Well,,, Welcome again

First place I'd look is,, PSD's need a 'minimum' of 500lbs of high pressure oil to pressurize or for the 'push' for injection since their hyd. controlled units. When cranking, the pressure needs to hit that mark or it won't start. Same with cranking speed, there is a minimum cranking speed that has to be met. Hot batteries and a good charging system at all times are a must on PSD's.

Could be the IPR (injection pressure regulator) valve or the ICP (injection pressure control) sensor, and the 95 vintage had problems with the O rings on the injectors bleeding oil and once the oil thins with normal heating,, they have trouble building start pressures warmed and cranking. Generally a no start warm issue wouldn't happen overnight though. Whats the mileage on your van?

You might try and unplug the ICP and see if it helps on the start. Its on the left/driverside head (forward) pointed in towards the valley of the engine. Could be a dying high pressure pump as well . There's a plug on top of the high pressure oil reservour (center/front of the engine) that should be checked for full as well, usually 3/4-1" from the top. Usually a level drop there happens after some 'sit time' though but shouldn't be ruled out.

You can check for correct cranking pressure with a DVOM meter, or can manually check pressures at the head. Depends on the shops equipment, and abilility..

If they have a decent diagnostic tool that will cover your model, or can find one, and can access the system PIDS (information display) it will show the cranking pressure indicated, as well as IPR/ICP values, cranking speed, DTC's ect. Was there any CEL/check enging light?

Sounds like your van is kind'a a Trojan Horse in their shop, hopefully we can help from here, although I dont speak French either
Hi the mileage on the van is 35,000 They do have a scan tool of some sort that they plugged in , i will try and get them to get some codes from it thanks for the help and and info i will get this converted to french for them to read this as well Regards Dave

Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Well,,, Welcome again

Hayapower HOPE YOU SEE THIS POST SOON! Please tell me Correct OBD Scan Tool and Equip. at Fair Price, online order please! For a 2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke Diesel 7.L Dually. Need to diagnose a Crank/No start Problem, I want to purchase the right equipment First Time Around, (No Autozone) A.S.A.P. thanx, dReinharr1269