New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Yea, I bought a taurus with 140k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Default Yea, I bought a taurus with 140k miles...

I don't know what to say about it other than its another money pit.
I posted something in Taurus hoping someone has an answer to my head gasket woes.
This is #3 and I'm irritated at this car.
Thing is....this sucker still RUNS! HA!

All the other cars (toyota, chevy, other fords) died fast and refused to move. This one is a trooper!

I just got done with a 1195 mile journey from san diego (never again, evar!) to portland oregon pulling an 85 Corolla with an extra engine/transmission and all my tools and stuff with a dolly.
400 miles were on 3 cylinders because autolite sucks ***-warts. NGK-R plugs got the job done and I'm convinced for quality over price, dispite how broke you can be.

I've got some SHO plans in the future, but gotta get this paddy wagon rolling decent first so I can gather parts, another car to drive and some motivation to live out the SHO Wagon dream

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people on this message board...hoping someone can help me like I saw others got help.
Sounds very knowledgable in here.
/end of novel.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Yea, I bought a taurus with 140k miles...

Well off hand if this is the 3rd set of head gaskits , I gotta say something is being over looked.

Did you have the heads checked to see if their warped ?, if there off by like 3 thousands if I remember rite, they wont seal proper.

Also maybe your head bolts are streached , seems , cant remember if it was the Taurus model that they suggest you replace the head bolts each time, { I could be wrong on this !!!!!!!, might be something you want to check out }

Also on the head bolt's , are you sure your torque wrench is reading correct ? An another thing if you oil the bolt threads they will torque tighter, dry bolts give you a false torque reading by as much as 10+ pounds an thats using new bolts an a clean tapped hole

An over the years I have found it helps to go back an re-torque the bolts several times, cause by the time you get to the last bolt an have pulled the head down, an squised the gaskit, usually the first few bolts are now loose

Also you may want to look at an aftermarket product called COPPER COAT, its a liquid or spray now that you apply to the head gaskit to help it seal. I started using the product like 20 yrs ago an have never had a head gaskit leak, on like maybe 400 + motors I have done.

Does the gaskit fail in the same place every time ??, could the head be cracked like between the valves ? . Once again you should take the heads to a machine shop an have them checked.

Most times skiping steps in the repair to save time or money usually comes back an bites you in the butt.. Iam a strong beliver in the statement if you aint got time to do the job rite the first time , you sure aint going to have time to go back an do it again. Is the car overheating causing the failure ? Was the block checked to see if it was true with a straight level ?

Also another thing I do allways is make a set of alingment bolts. by getting bolts longer then the factory bolts , cutting the heads off an then grind the top to a taper an then cut a slot across the top of them ( makes it eaiser to remove with a screwdriver if you need too }, put your gaskit down on the block , an then start the 2 bolts by like a couple threads, an then lower the head down over the bolts , that way you dont have to worry about the gaskit slipping around on you as you install the heads.

Good luck an let us know what you find .

Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Yea, I bought a taurus with 140k miles...

hmm..i dont have much to add that ramrod didnt say...good luck