Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Fiesta 2003 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Default Fiesta 2003 problems

Hi All,

I have a current shape 2003 Fiesta bought from new. It seems to have been plagued with gear selection problems throughout:

1. Burning smell noticed, when reversing or moving slowly in traffic.
2. Can't select reverse gear in the morning without crunching gears.
3. Clutch replaced reverse now OK.
4. Entry in to first and second gears does not feel right. It appears the gear lever is catching on something below. It's not a smooth entry no noise you can just feel it in your hand.
5. Some parts replaced.
6. Problem still exists.
7. Levers (?) under gear box are restored to factory settings.
8. Problem still exists.
9. Burning smell is back again.

Is gear box likely to be damaged now?

Anyone else had similar or any thoughts welcomed please.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Fiesta 2003 problems

Sounds like the clutch is outta adjustment ..The burning smell , possibly the CLUTCH ??, if they start slipping they get that smell.. How much free travel do u have ? I have to ask please tell me you dont rest your foot on the clutch pedal ,,, I've seen lots of folks do this an not even be aware of it , thats why I ask ,,SORRY ,,,, Other possiblys flywheel needs resurfaced, maybe warped , Pilot brg. faulty that will cause hard gear engagement as it allows the front shaft to fall out of alignment with the rest of the shafts , Bad pressure plate, bent warped , not releasing the clutch disc fully.Front shaft worn allowing the clutch dics to stick to the shaft. Front shaft bent. Tranny not aligned to Eng. correctly.Release Fork bent, or faulty spring even on hyd. set-ups. An yes its possible that the slids that the shifter operates inside the tranny are faulty ...

Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 AM

Thanks for that. I think the dealer thought my driving was at fault so he asked me to drive the car with him next to me. I obviosuly don't drive around with my foot on the clutch. I noticed he kept looking to see if I did. My last car was a year or sold hold when I bought it. I racked up 110,000 miles in it plus 20,000 already on the clock when I bought it. Did not have one problem with the clutch or gearbox in that time. By a new car and it's problems, problems, problems............Really makes me wish I hadn't bothered now!!!

Do you think there could be damage to the gear box?

Old 08-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Just the Tranny its self , I think if it had a problem it would have self destructed by now , I think the problem is between the flywheel an the front of the tranny , thats my best guess from the info I have , Sometimes we can assist the vechile owners an sometimes not , this appers to be a NOT on this go around. I really think your having problems with the shifter due to the fact that the clutch is not fully releasing, allowing the tranny to shift smoothly between gears. The quickest way to SOMEWHAT elimate the tranny would be to do a fluid change an see how much , Brass material , an Steel thats in the oil . Of course with the current problem I'am quite sure your going to find some material in there .