Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Small trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Default Small trucks

Ford needs to build a small truck that would really get some gas mileage. If it had to be on the Focus chassie, front wheel drive. I'm talking 40MPG. I'm not talking Long Ranger, maybe Tonto!!!!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Small trucks

what the hell are you talking about (lol). making a front wheel drive truck. that is what cars are for. anyway you can get rangers with the 2.5 or something like that with a 5 speed and you will get good gas mileage but you wont get 40mpg with any truck. sorry if i came off mad or something but yah i dont think that a front wheel drive truck will ever exist.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

There wouldn't be a market for it. AT least not in the U.S.A.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:53 AM

Ahhh TRUCKS. Such a man's man vehicle. Trucks arent supposed to get good gas mileae. Sure it would be nice but then they would have to make them out of light materials like fiberglass. Might as well lower them for better aerodynamics too. Then you wouldnt be able to haul things which brings us to the point of why own a truck. You might be able to add those light weight super loud speakers. I think you have a good idea but I am not sure that too many folks would by into it.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:42 PM

FWD kind of defeats the purpose of the truck doesn't it? I mean, you don't see to many honda civics pulling boats, jet skis etc, right?

Old 05-22-2006, 12:36 AM

i have actually seen jet skis being pulled by honda accords. i live by a bunch of lakes and work near them also at a resort.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:44 PM

umm lets see here...... got a better idea..... why dont you just go get a CAR trucks will never get good gas mileage....i get 14 and i am happy..... 40 mpg in a truck hahahahahahahahahahahaha i am not laughing with you but at you sorry

Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM

You guys are all wrong! Especially the moron who said there would be "No Market" for a super small p/u (micro-truck) .
Ok it might not get 40mpg, but 30mpg shouldnt be difficult.
It would have to be either rear wheel or 4 wheel drive (obviously).
It wouldnt be intended for ANY heavy use. It would be perfect for a guy like me who might need to p/u a couple chairs, p/u a few bags of barkdust, bring my wet dogs home from the lake, throw a couple fishing poles and a beer cooler in, ok i think you get it.
The point is alot of us dont have room for a car and a trailer, or a truck that only gets 18 mpg.
The fact is, most of the time people dont carry anything at all. So for little stuff, it would be perfect.
Suburu makes that ugly Baja, and its only avail in 4 door. Did i mention its ugly?
They almost had a winner with the Brat, but it was ugly too.
Can you imagine a Rugged looking miniature Ranger (the new Scout or Bronco)? I can.
Heres what I would do...
I'd make it about the same size as a Focus maybe even smaller.
Id give it a 1.8 - 2.2 liter engine.
I dont know much about transmissions, but I would design it to maximize fuel economy, but it would autmatically adjust when carrying cargo (some how?)
It would be a two door extended cab (optional).
Push button 4 wheel drive.
Push button adjustable rear suspension (Air Bags) for when cargo is 200-400lbs (400 max|).
Last of all, it would be designed as a truck, not a car with a bed on the back!
Still think there no market? Ive been waiting for something like this few about two years now, so I've given it alot of thought| (as you can see).
I did see a smaller version of a Ford Ranger that sells in South Africa but I cant seem to find it again.
So FORD, if you're reading this, Build it dammit! I'll buy the first one.
mg

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM

To the guy who said his truck gets 14 mpg and he's happy...
Who are you kidding? 14mpg? ouch.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Oh, and to the guy who said you couldnt haul a jet ski.
I think it probably could tow...
a jet ski,
Grocerys,
Small aluminum boat or jon boat,
Maybe some dirty soccer/football/sports equip
Maybe a tiny utility trailer (4x5) or (3x4)
The possibilitys are endless.
So youre right, it couldnt haul heavy duty stuff.
If I need that stuff, Ill call the 14 mpg guy.

Quick Reply: Small trucks