Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Default wheel weights

another thread about losing wheel weights put me onto a pet peeve of mine. How do you feel about it?

tire shop hammering clip-on weights on the outside of aluminum rims, scratching and opening up points for future corrosion

So you ask for stick-on weights and they suggest statically balancing your rims...sheesh!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:59 AM

I know what you mean. Also, don't forget about shops that don't use torque sticks and just hammer the lugs on.

Depending on the type of rim, static balancing with the stick-ons is the only way. However, most rims can be dynamically balanced with stick-ons. It's just a case of "How good of a tire shop is it" along with "Do you want to see wheel weights".

Most good wheel shops will have the knock-on weights for aluminum rims that have the plastic coating on the clip. However, these can POP-OFF from time to time and I have seen shops re-use the weights (plastic coating destroyed) on rims. Also, some shops too cheap to purchased the proper weights for the rims.

I purchased a set of rims for our 2010 MKZ and told them I wanted the tires dynamically balanced with stick-on weights. Was told it would be a couple of days as they had to order more weights. I said "I'll wait as I want it done right". The tire shop I use will balance a tire/rim any way you want it.

Shouldn't have too, but if one doesn't say or ask for what they want, they get what the shop gives (normally Quickest and Easiest for them).

I had a dealer replace a tire under warranty years ago. Their "Tire Guy" didn't use the plastic sleeve over the steel bar and gouged the coating off the lip of the rim (I watched him do it). Then when I complained about it, tried to say that that's the way the rim was. "Oh really?, then how do you explain the non-damaged rims in the pictures I took of my van that I just bought brand new 4 weeks ago?".

I'll stop here...

Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
I know what you mean. Also, don't forget about shops that don't use torque sticks and just hammer the lugs on.

Shouldn't have too, but if one doesn't say or ask for what they want, they get what the shop gives (normally Quickest and Easiest for them).

ever been stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire; and you can't get the lug nuts off.... for a lug nut that supposed to be torqued to 100ft/lbs... I'm standing on a long snipe and still can't budge them... thank you technician.

most people wouldn't know to ask for stick-0ns.

My 06 Taurus rims are like new and have never seen clip on weights after the original tires came off...I live in the rust belt.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Bump.....