replacing original emmission control system (IMCO)on a 72 LTD 351W engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Default replacing original emmission control system (IMCO)on a 72 LTD 351W engine

Hello Ford afficionados,

this is a call for help from Germany. My 72 LTD Convertible has run 80 000 ml and is original in every respect.After experience hard starting, timing chain was changed by me what was necessary; problem solved : in general I am not happy with the original emmission control system >called " IMCO"< there is no need for this car to pass emmission control in Germany . I may ask you to recommand a simple conversion of carburation and ignition. Goal is not necessarily more horse power but economic fuel consumtion is trend of the time.
For your friendly attention many thanks,

Last edited by casperwatzhahn; 12-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM

IMCO stood for "improved combustion", and was the great marketing ploy of the '70's to say "our engineers are hard at work improving lean running, sloppily designed cars that stalled and got rotten emissions and fuel milage."
These cars were not made or have ever been known for fuel milage, and that is just the way it is with these older cars. One modification that could be done, but definitely would NOT be original is to convert to a simpler fuel injection system (the throttle body systems by Bosch weren't too bad), but I don't know if you'd ever want to do that as you've pointed out the car is original. And boy, a '72 LTD was a really nice car, and I LOVE convertibles.
One suggestion that I could make but would probably not work very well as you're on the continent is to convert to a Varible Venturi Carburator, if you're good at working on them. They (when properly set up) gave the best fuel economy and emissions that you could get, but they have been long extinct here and the old men that used to work on them are dying off (like me!).
Good luck, and let us know what you do!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Smile casperwatzhahn

Hello Greasemark,
thank you for spending time on to find a suitable solution to my car. For now I am on my way to spain to get out of these harsh winter conditions. I may use your time again when talk to yoi in late January .
Have a nice Christmas and a healthy New Year.

Casperwatzhahn

Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Has the car a two bbl or four? I don't know if that car came with california smog control or if it was built there if it came from there try putting duel exhaust pipes under it and get rid anything that doesn't make the engine run like crap. reset the timing to 8 degrees btdc put the gap in the points at .017 of an inch or if you like go with electronic ignition. plug off all vac lines except for power brakes and vac. advance. you can get rebuild kit for your carb. or you can get a rebuilt one for a reasonable price. If I said it once I've said it a million times> milage doesn't mean darn thing it all depends on how well you maintain it. keep the oil clean and fresh and for the love of GOD DO NOT and I mean DO NOT short trip it to death!!!! GOD bless and may he be with you