PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

SBF Ford 221 V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Default SBF Ford 221 V8

I have a great running Ford 221 V8 motor that I bought a couple of years ago (I personally put 3500 miles on it). I was told it was a rebuilt 289 when I bought it as a replacement engine for my D Code, 1964 1/2 Mustang. When I installed it, even though it would get up and move my Mustang, itdidn't havethe power I remembered havingwith the 289. I thought that was due to the fact that it had 1978 302 heads which have a larger combustion chambers thus lowering the compression ratio. I recently replaced the heads with a pair of freshly (totally) rebuilt C4OE 289 heads (also the same casting for a 221 and 260 engine). The head swap did improve performance significanly. However, when I pulled the 302 heads, I noticed the bore was smaller than the 4" 289 bore. I thought 260 at first then I messured the bore to be 3.5" which is a 221. The flat top (w/ no valve relief) pistons aren't stamped with any numbers so I'm assuming the cylinders havenever been bored. The engine doesn't burn any oil or leak oiland runs well (smooth). There are no unusual internal noises and no tapping or knocking sounds. I drove the car from DC to Florida in November 2006 at a steady 65 -70 MPH with the 221 and had no problems. I have video with sound of the engine running availble to email. I believethis engine originally came out of a 1963 or 64 MercuryComet. The timing cover has the provision for an oil fill spout but it is plugged with a rubber plug since I put the oil in through the valve covers. Anyway, I'm getting ready to put my freshly rebuilt 289 back in myMustangandwant to sell this motor to someonewho wants to restore a piece of history with a well running motor. I would like $800 with the C4OE headsor $350 with the 1978, D8OE heads. The engine now has my Ford aluminum intake from my Mustang on it which isn't included. I do have an old2V intake manifoldavailable but no 2V Carb. Also removed will be the generator and bracket, and pulleys, fan, distributor (but I have another included if you want it), valve covers, air cleaner housing,flex plate and coilYou will receive the block with allinternals, oil pan, heads, timing cover w/ water pump andharmonic balancer. I will remove the water pump to prevent damage to it if you want to ship this engine. Shipping it on the buyer. I have a pallet available to ship the motor. This would be an excellent engine for someone doing a original restoration project. The car is in Vero Beach, FL. When I remove the engine I will be doing so in Cocoa Beach, FL at Patrick Air Force Base, Auto Craft shop. You can come hear it run in person if you'd prefer.

Thanks for looking and your replies are welcome.

Thanks

Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/11416/FAEFC4141C9E41AF9E86302475E8E7AD.jpg[/IMG]