Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

? involing Lower Contol Arm/Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Default ? involing Lower Contol Arm/Ball Joint

Hi, I have a 1994 Mercury Cougar. I was told that the upper ball joints/control arms were bad along with the outer and inner tie rods (by three different mechanics) So I replaced all of these parts on both sides of the car. I just took the car to get it aligned and I was told that they can't do it because the lower ball joints/contol arms are slightly loose (the control arm has about a 3/4" play in it) Anyway, the car drives perfectly straight with no shimmy if I keep it at 55-65 mph, but if I go at a faster speed (80+) the car starts to shimmy really bad from the lower arm. I was wondering how safe this is to drive. I spent a lot of money on those other front end parts and don't really have enough for the lower arms/ball joints yet. I was wondering if I'd be able to drive this car for about a month or if I should just put it away and give up on it for a little while, til I get the money (the latter isn't really convenient as I work twenty miles away and would have to find an alternate means of transportation)

Cobra X

Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Default involing Lower Contol Arm/Ball Joint

It comes tomorrow and I am hoping to install it saturday morning. I got the Lower control arm w/ new outter and inner ball joints already pressed in. I am only doing the drivers side right now. I just dont have any tools or anything because they are all in the back of our storage container. Who would like to help? I figure it take 1-2 hours max