Transmission All geared up? Talk trans here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

1994 Aerostar Were's the transmition fluid going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Default 1994 Aerostar Were's the transmition fluid going?

I cna't figure out were my transmition fluid is going a small amount is geting burned but I can refill the transmition and run the engine and then the transmition fluid is GONE! It is NOT leaking anywere that I can see as of ground I have not started taking it apart or anything...... The Van does not move either It takes it to about 5k rpms before it wants to move at all and that is the same as someone pushing it if even that.....
Any help would be much apreciated!
Thanks Nick

Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Default RE: 1994 Aerostar Were's the transmition fluid going?

Are you losing any anti-freeze? The cooler to the transmission is sometimes located inside the radiator and it can break or crack and throw the tranny. fluid into the anti-freeze - it could then develop increased hydraulic pressure in the cooling system to the engine and the engine temp. could climb. another thing that will keep it from moving is if the bands are too tight or loose in the transmission. At any rate it is impossible for the fluid to just "go away". Do changes on your other fluids like antifreeze and engine oil and look for traces of transmision fluid. How many milesare on the transmission? An average transmission uses 7 or more quarts of fluid if installed new - so if it is new - expect to add enough for the transmission AND for the converter. In rare instances I've seen nicely sealed bell housings hold fluid even though the transmission front seal is cut. In that case loosen all the transmission to engine mounting bolts about two turns (with a pan under between the engine and trans. - in case) and use a jack lightly against the transmission pan to open the gap lightly. If fluid starts pouring out the bell housing - the tranny. front seal was cut or wore out from very high miles. Having too much fluid in your transmission can also keep it from functioning correctly - so if you keep filling it it can blow some of the excess out as it moves - or it can get "flooded out" and just not work right. Maybe make sure you didn't cross up a fuel return line with a transmission line - that would defintely cause f***ed up s*** like that. Or perhaps your local "mechanic" made a mess for you to have him conveniently "fix".

Old 08-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Default RE: 1994 Aerostar Were's the transmition fluid going?

I found the leak it was in the cooler you were right thanks! I'm going to fix that and see if it fixes it should that make it Go?