Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

2000 Ford Windstar SL V 3.8 engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Default 2000 Ford Windstar SL V 3.8 engine rattle

Hello,

My minivan produces rattling noise from the manifold area. I had it since around 30k miles. Dealers inspected it and did some ‘maintenance work’ to the manifold in the past, but with no major effect. Their primary advise was to use premium gas in winter and that it was normal behavior of the Ford engines. The rattle is now more heard when the engine has 100k miles on it. The sound is more apparent on a low RPM. Other than that, the van appears to be performing well.

I saw many posts with the same complain on other forums, but no answers. Somebody mentioned of a need to flush the engine with the substances removing carbon buildup.

Any advise?

Happy New Year!

Old 12-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2000 Ford Windstar SL V 3.8 engine rattle

Welcome to the site..

Does the rattle occur even if your just standing still (Park), and then bring the RPM's up, or only under a load/accelerating..

Old 12-25-2007, 01:32 PM

The upper intake on this engine is two pieces, and the two will separate sometimes, causes a rattling or thumping noise. If you can hear this noise parked, and revving up the engine, this is the most likely cause. If the noise is only evident under acceleration or while driving, it may be something else. Without actually hearing noises it is hard to give a definite opinion.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Hayapower, btexpress,

The rattle is more evident when driving very slowly, e.g., parking. The higher RPM the lower the effect. In normal highway driving the sound almost does not come through to the cabin.

It can be better heard when opened the hood andrevving the engine. The rattling is definitely coming from the black plastic block ontop of the engine, which I understand is the manifold. It sounds a bit like a Diesel engine.

Is this something I could fix myself? I am handy, although not experienced with working on cars...

Many thanks for your kind response and help

V

Old 12-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Based on your description I would say it is definitely the manifold, but you will only need the upper portion, generally called the plenum. Replacement is not difficult if you are mechanically inclined. The instructions call for removing the wiper module which sits directly above the intake for ease of doing the work. Having done quite a few I figured out how to do it without removing the wiper module, but it is not an easy thing to describe.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:19 PM

I emailed the instructions to you, but could not copy the pictures which would be helpful

Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Dennis,

Many thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it. Will report back when done with the work, which I hope to dobefore end of year.

One more question. In your opinion, does flushing the engine with chemicals removing carbon deposits make sense? As I said, my Windstar has just passed a 100k miles mark, and probably is not worth much, so I intent to keep in for longer....

Best regards,

V

Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 AM

I found this link on the web.

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html

Is this what you would recommend, as far as steps to remove the plenum?

BTW, what is the mechanics of the rattling sound coming from the manifold? Is it related to a damaged plenum or gasket underneath? Will it be sufficient to clean the parts and put back together, or new plenum is usually needed?

Sorry for many questions, just trying to understand.

Thank you!

V

Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 PM

That looks like an excellent link to someone's very detailed work. I would have to get my soninlaw to help me put something like that together! That is pretty much the procedure, although I would not remove the silicone gasket that runs around the circumference of the plenum, this is not a source of the offending leaks. If you end up replacing the plenum the new one will come with this gasket.
The noise is the inner baffle coming loose from the plenum cover. I have had minor success reattching these, but most always ended up replacing the plenum to get rid of the noise. The two pieces snap together and the plastic warps or distorts and won't snap in place.

I think you found an excellent resource for the job you are going to do, as I told you before the database I have will not let me copy and paste. But this link you found is much clearer than the diagrams anyway.

Most of your other questions I answered in emails, try doing the job without removing the wiper cowl first, if you can't get the plenum out the wiper cowl is not time consuming to remove.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Dennis,

Many thanks for your guidance and time!

Happy New Year!

V