Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Windstar/Aerostar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/)
-   -   2001 Windstar instrument display (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/2001-windstar-instrument-display-29326/)

NH_USA 03-07-2013 11:31 AM

2001 Windstar instrument display

My daughter just informed me that the instrument display on the Windstar she is driving is "messed up" - she says that it is not reading correctly (whatever that means)
Before I get into it - I am wondering if there is a common problem with the display and an easy fix! :eek:

bluewind 03-07-2013 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
backside of a cluster:Attachment 2311Front of the cluster:Attachment 2312

Look for loose connections, loose ground connections, broken solder joints.
The speedometer uses stepper motors and sometimes the needle hangs at a speed and jumps up or down.

NH_USA 05-13-2013 11:59 AM

The Windstar is having fits so it is parked until I can figure things out.
The directional signals would not turn off and there were a few other electrical gremlins so my daughter is now using our 2006 grand caravan.

The problems come and go - usually don't happen when the mechanic looks at it.

It is a good thing I recently replaced the 2002 with a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country.

My wife insisted on a Chrysler van because the 2006 has over 200,000 miles with very few problems - other than it had to be towed because it would not start a few weeks ago. The problem was not enough gas in the tank when parked in a steep driveway :) so I can't fault the caravan!

Anyway - It would not surprise me if the Windstar problem was due to bad grounds - Can someone lead me to the location of the major ground wires on the Windstar? :D

bluewind 05-13-2013 04:45 PM

I don't know all the ground connections by heart. There are obvious ones:
Battery negative to engine, to body.
There should be a ground strap from body to engine.
Check the alternator functions, a bad alternator can cause all kinds of funny things.
The mounting bolts serve as ground to the alternator. Corrosion can cause trouble right there.
It is really a thing of going systematically through the engine compartment. Just disconnect, clean and reconnect everything.

NH_USA 05-15-2013 11:31 AM

bluewind - Thanks -- I'll start playing as soon as I find some time.

My Audi used to have ground problems and there were 8-9 locations - not counting the BCM and ECM - that were troublesome. Most problems came from the frame to motor strap and was a PITA to get to. Come to think of it - I got the Windstar because of all the problems with the Audi electrical system.:eek:

bluewind 05-16-2013 09:36 AM

When I researched Minivans a dealer told me: Toyota would mean spending the stupid money. Chrysler have a history of transmission troubles and the Windstar is o.k. except for "funky electricals"!

Right he was! LOL