Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

92 Aerostar Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Default 92 Aerostar Electrical Problems

Ok, so my 92 Aerostar is a champ, or at least it was. All winter it started no matter how long it was left unplugged. It always ran.

Today I run an errand and I notice the "Amp" light is on. Ok. Not sure what that meant but everything seemed to be working. I ran my errand, turned it off for 10 mins, and it fired back up with ease.

On the way home I noticed the amp light is still on, my spedometer is dead, and my battery gauge is dead too. The van is still running great though and the oil gauge and gas gauge still work.

Once home I turn it off and try to fire it back up. I get a chugging half of a turn over and then nothing. It's dead (interior lights are still on when I open the door though)

Ok, I let it sit for a while. An hour later I try again. This time I can hear the starter (at least I think it's the starter) tapping away, but it's not turning over.

Ok, so I let it sit for 4 hours. I start it up and almost everything works. The spedometer is all over the place, but at least it's moving. And the battery gauge is at almost half way. I get a block away from my house (smoke run) and I watch the battery gauge drop to zero, all my lights went out (headlamps, dash, everything), and it's seems like it's struggling to run.

I manage to get it home and into my driveway. I notice while exiting it that the interior lights do come on, but they're dim. I checked it 2 hours later and the interior lights are bright again.

Someone help me, please.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Default RE: 92 Aerostar Electrical Problems

your alternator is bad and need to be change.