Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Replaced starter on 2001 Windstar now will not start at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Default Replaced starter on 2001 Windstar now will not start at all

Ok here goes...A close Friend of mine has a problem with his 2001 Ford Windstar. His starter solenoid went out, and was making the classic.."click,clicking" sound. He called me up, and asked my advice.I told him him to go get a Re-built Starter, advise him on the procedure to remove it and replace it. He did so and followed my instruction to the letter.

The next day he calls and said he think he may have blown a Fuse...Because every-time he turn the key over to start it...it did nothing....and I mean nothing. Wow my first thought was the Ignition switch was bad, or it should have least made the standard "clicking" out under the hood.I asked him if he had made sure he had tighten the terminals to the starter. He said he had, and made sure everything went back as it came off.So I went over to help..and here is what I did:

1. Turn the ignition on and over to start position...nothing..the warning lights came on in the run position..when I turn the Key to start position, the lights would go off...now here is it gets wierd...all of the gages would go off, or down...the Fuel gauge would go from 3/4 of a tank to E...the Oil pressure would go to L.
2. I then checked the Starter...checked to see if the terminals were on the correct post, and tighten..check to see if any wires were bare or fared, and they were not. everything looked good..
3. Just for ****s and giggles I asked my friend to turn the ignition switch on to the Run position. I then did the old trick of jumping the terminals on the starter....Zoom, Zoom it started right up.
4. Turn off the ignition, and tried to start it again...no luck...nothing.
5. Ok the next step..checked all fuses,and relays. I used both a Volt Meter,Circuit Tester, and a Self power continuity tester. All appeared to be fine. I then Visually checked each Mini fuse, and Maxi fuse, all appeared to be fine.
6. Then I got under the Steering column..Pulled the ignition switch.. and check it with a Continuity tester, and Volt meter....It was just fine.
7. Pulled the ignition cylinder from the column, and made sure the Mechanism worked...it did.
8. Put everything back toghether...and tried to start the car...NOTHING...It appears when I turn the ignition switch over to the Run Position every-things dies....HELP....O YES...did i mention my friend had just replaced the Battery 3 day's before this all happen...Does anyone have any ideas what the HECK is going on????[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Replaced starter on 2001 Windstar now will not start at all

Sounds like a bad start silenoid. It is normal for all power to drop when the key is in the start position, all pwoer is need to turn over engine. I have not replaced a start in years, but there are two basic types, start only (or one round log) or start and silenoid (2 logs together one smaller than the other). The old Fords used the first with a remote silenoid. When you jump the treminals you take the silenoid out of play, and when it quits you get no click click.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Default RE: Replaced starter on 2001 Windstar now will not start at all

ORIGINAL: tomb1269

Sounds like a bad start silenoid. It is normal for all power to drop when the key is in the start position, all pwoer is need to turn over engine. I have not replaced a start in years, but there are two basic types, start only (or one round log) or start and silenoid (2 logs together one smaller than the other). The old Fords used the first with a remote silenoid. When you jump the treminals you take the silenoid out of play, and when it quits you get no click click.

Just a follow up....your going to love this...There is a sensor on the Trans axle that tells the PCM unit if the Vehicle is in P R N (D) D....if this is bad and it does not sense that it is in P or N....it will not allow the Ignition to turn the Solenoid over on the Starter....lol...lol....[:@]