Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Urgent a4ld transmission rebuild advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Default Urgent a4ld transmission rebuild advice needed

Hello to all,

I am researching a transmission rebuild for my 1993 Aerostar V6 3.0L with A4LD transmission. I am in Europe, but have a relative in St. Louis who will be coming out to visit me on Aug. 15th. My cousin is willing to bring me a transmission rebuild kit if i can find one and get it to him prior to his departure.

HISTORY:
1st owner, 130,000 miles, changed ATF every 30,000 miles since new.

PROBLEM:
The transmisison still works(forward gears) , but unfortunately reverse no longer works. In PARK and REVERSE, when i give it gas the van slightly lurches forward, in NEUTRAL , OD, and D the van drives forward and seems to be shifting fine.

When i put it in reverse, the reverse lights light up so this leads me to believe that the shift linkage is ok. From the research i've done so far, it seems like the problem is probably a STUCK CLUTCH PACK.

One more thing that i thought i'd mention, prior to reverse giving out , the transmission would sometimes slip when starting from a stop on uneven roads(hills), otherwise , on level roads(in the city) there was no slippage from a stop. Anyone ever experience this problem?

Does anyone think that the 1st gear slippage and the stuck clutch pack are somehow related?

If so , could you please provide me with some info to solve the 1st gear slip and rebuild this transmission?

NOTE: my goal is to rebuild the transmission without investing too much money into it, since the van will probably see less than 1,000 miles per year(probably 300-600 a year, from now on) and will not be doing any towing, so it will basically be light usage.

REBUILD KIT:

I would really appreciate it if the guys who have already rebuilt the 4ALD/experts, please provide me with suggestions on what transmission rebuild kit to purchase.

thanks

Pete