Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Edge Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Default Edge Transmission Problems

Has anybody had problems with the new Ford Edge transmission? My Edge is in the shop waiting for a new transmission but the problem is there AREN'T any new transmissions out there yet.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Edge Transmission Problems

Was it manual/stick shift or automatic? What happened with it?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM

I have an upper end model with the six speed automatic transmission. About 7k miles on it, mostly put on in a couple of long trips. The car had a little hesitation in it that was bothering me that I noticed when the car was moving and I would attempt to accelerate quickly. Don't know if that was related to the main problem. As I would leave the house in the morning, the car began acting up - it would sound like it was dropping the transmission at about 30-35mph. It literally felt like I got rear ended by someone. It happened three straight days in a row and I took it back to the dealer. They had trouble reproducing it but when they finally had it happen to them I think they realized it was a problem. They said Ford is not repairing these transmissions so they will replace it, which is good, but there are none around so they are getting in line for when some are shipped to a regional warehouse. They don't have an idea when that will be. I have 4 Ford vehicles at the present time (lots of kids) but I am thinking I should have waited on the Edge and hung on to my Expedition for another year. Maybe they will let me swap it for another Expedition. Do you get the idea that I don't feel comfortable about this at the moment?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:08 PM

I don't see why you couldn't swap it for something of equal value. Of course, being that the six speed transmission is so new that explains why they're having the delay. The old one will probably end up going through a full examination to find what the problem was with it. I don't see why they'd hold you up too long though.Did they offer youa loaner vehicle in the mean time?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 PM

I wouldnt be so quick to say the transmission is so new that the bugs are not worked out yet. Actually Ford has been using the 6 speed for some time now (the new expedition uses it, the new taurus, etc). Unfortunately (and this goes for ALL manufacturers), a lot of components are subcontracted out. Occasionally a bad part may slip through quality control, and this is no reference to Ford (after all their quality has now equalled that of Toyota and Nissan, led only by Honda). If it re-assures you at all, when the Edge was in design phase, Ford hired away a quality control technician to go over the ENTIRE vehicle prior to production to look for any potential issues. Back to the transmission, it's a fact of life that if something has moving parts eventually something will break. And when you mass produce anything there may be a few that may have a kink. (i.e. how many people do you know who have cell phones? How many of those have had a phone with issues?) None the less, a solution is being presented, unfortunately due to the demand for the Edge there are not a lot of surplus parts available.I'm sure your local Ford dealership will do what they will to appease you in the mean time.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM

Actually, yes. My parents just got an Edge and, with less than 500 miles on it, the transmission crapped out. Thankfully the dealership was able to get a new transmission within the week, and everything seems to be working well with it now. (It's currently in my possession since it died while they were visiting me.)

Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 AM

Good to know, might have to hold off for a little while before getting the wife one...Hopefully it will work out for ya.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM

I have experienced the same problem with my Edge in that it felt and sounded like the transmission fell out of the car. Of course the dealership checked it out and indicated that they could not find anything wrong with it. I previously had it in because I was experiencing that the car was resisting excerleration. I would try to excerlate at a faster pace in order to pass and it would not excerleate and I have almost been rear ended a couple of times, of course they said they could not find anything wrong with it that time either. It has not made that sound again, which it has been three days. But, if it continues to act up, I guess I am going to have to get very aggressive with insisting that they find the problem and fix it insteal of being Mrs. Nice. Although, I do not want there to be anything wrong, it is reassuring to know that it is not just my imagination.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 AM

We are having problems with Ford engineers not wanting to replace our faulty 2007 Ford Edge transmission. The service technicians and service manager and dealer agree that a high pitched noise being produced by the vehicle is related to the transmission and have torn itdown and replaced a gear thought to be responsible for the noise but it is still there. They have had our vehicle for over thirty days andstill have not corrected the problem. The engineer told my wife that if she would just play the radio at a normal level she would not hear the high pitch whine. Now there's a technical solution to the problem. They are refusing to change the transmission out so we will now have to go through the process to apply for the Lemon Law claim in the state of Tennessee. If others are having this same problem with their 2007 Ford Edge please contact me at: onefreeamerican@comcast.net

Old 05-13-2008, 02:27 PM

I have a 2008 Edge that is less than 1 month old with 1500 miles on it. This same exact problem (felt like I got hit) occured yesterday evening. I have an appt with the Service Dept in the morning.

Edit: Service Dept. says they couldn't make it happen again and haven't heard of any transmission problems with the Edge. I guess it looks like they'll get to deal with it when it totally craps out and I get it towed back to them.[sm=bs.gif]

Quick Reply: Edge Transmission Problems