Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Edge Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Oh Carla, I'm so sorry!!! Tell you husband the headache and the wondering WHEN your car will leave you in the lurch (literally a lurch is what a lot of us felt in this car) is NOT WORTH IT! Especially if you're driving your kids. What if it poops out in the middle of the freeway? DANGEROUS!!!

I ended up selling it to the dealership it was being serviced at. I decided to give my business to Toyota, helps that I have a friend who works for them and was able to get me a bit of a discount on a Camry Hybrid. LOVE it! The 40mpg I'm averaging is waaaay better than the 18.6mpg I was getting on the Edge. Sure, it's a lot smaller and I won't be hauling thrifting and yard sale finds anymore, but just having that stress off my shoulders is worth the sacrifice.

I cried when I gave up my Edge. I really loved it, and true, even a few weeks later I still say "I miss my Edge" every single time I see one on the road. BUT I don't miss the stress of waiting for my car to fail me. And I don't miss paying for rentals over and over.

Best of luck to you all!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Carla
It is a 2008. Paid $18 before taxes, $21 on the road, now when looking at trading in to get something else they only want to give me $11 for it. Such a huge loss!!!! But everyday there are more and more things going wrong. What a money pit!!!!!
I am assuming you bought the car new, you paid $21,000 and now they want to give you $11,000 on a trade in. So over 5 years you lost $2,000 in depreciation, hard to believe but if true take the $11,000 and run.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM

nifty6, No, just bought this 2008 6 months ago. So taking a huge hit for only owning it for 6 months. We just did a trade in over the weekend and bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Rav 4 and took a HUGE hit on the edge...sucks.. More and more things have been breaking on it since i last posted so had to get rid of it while we could still get something out of it for trade.

Last edited by Carla; 04-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Yezenia, I traded it in last week, more and more things were breaking on it. We were going to get less and less for our trade in if waited any longer, so i was able to talk my husband into trading it. We also went to Toyota, and got a 2013 Rav 4. Way better on gas and more dependable. So we took a HUGE loss on the edge. Paid $21 on the road for it just 6 months ago and only got $12 for the trade in. At least now i know my kids and i are safe on the road! I am like you, and wish the edge didn't have so many problems. I loved it too!!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by wdr15904
Has anybody had problems with the new Ford Edge transmission? My Edge is in the shop waiting for a new transmission but the problem is there AREN'T any new transmissions out there yet.
Has anybody had problems with the ford edge not shifting into overdrive

Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Does anybody have any problems with the ford edge not shifting in overdrive

Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by littlerich
Does anybody have any problems with the ford edge not shifting in overdrive
do you mean not shifting into over drive? no issue with my tranny not shifting into over drive,

Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM

You know, as a Ford transmission tech for years, the Edge tranmssion (it's referred to in Ford as the 6F50N) was a pretty durable tranny, but it DID have a downshift bump. Every other maker that uses it (that includes GM and Volvo) has a similar (though not nearly as bad) complaint.
This transmission was designed by Aisan (I think), and came out in about 2006 or so. I didn't see many mechanical problems, but the downshift bump did get on my nerves.
The other thing these did was no stay in gear or slip on takeoff (or even a forced downshift) due to a restrictor plug comming loose in the case. I actually did do this repair, but after that, they lasted a good long while, on average.
That's not to say they lasted forever. I'm sure that there are a number of them that did have internal damage.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 PM

I was looking at getting an edge next year for my wife as our camping vehicle. This is the first site that came up when I searched for reliability ratings, and there are several others like this. Should I assume that places like car and driver and edmunds are doing their usual cover up any american car quality issues? I'm a fan of the this and the murano but if these are the daily things I get to look too then I guess I should pass on this.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM

OK, We had something of the same problem. Ours is a 2010 Ford Edge and just before pulling into traffic the transmision felt like it went into neutral with no power. The only gear we had was reverse. After stopping vehicle and turning engine off then back on, transmission worked perfectly. I think it was a computer problem or sensor, so I took it to Autozone and had them check for a problem code with no results. The dealer however did a scan and found that a sensor for the transmission had sent a trouble code. The sensor controls the shifting or gear position, I am not sure. The part for the transmission has been on back order going on 2 weeks now. Request a code scan of the vehicle. Hope this helps.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS