Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Help me decide between two vans. Please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 AM
Default Help me decide between two vans. Please.

Hi everyone,

I never thought finding a van would be so difficult.

I'm looking for a hightop (preferably extended) Ford, for around $3,500 - $7,500. (I am assuming Ford is my best bet for reliability and low maintenance cost, for a full size van, but I could be wrong).

I have found a 2005 diesel E350 extended for about $7,500, but it has 190,000 miles on it.

Not worried about the engine so much as I am the tranny, electronics, etc...

The second one I found is a 1999 E350 extended with a gas V8 (not sure on the engine size yet. Lady just posted it. Will find engine size tomorrow and update post.)

...but it has only 109,000 miles, for about $6,000

The gas van does have a small oil leak, which I'm not too overly concerned about at the moment, as I am finding nothing decent, at all, in my price range.

Without the oil leak, which do you guys and gals think would be the better van?

MPG is a concern (will be towing lightweight trailer through mountains sometimes) but my main concern is reliability.

I need something that is going to start up every time for at least another 25K-50K miles

Any advice, even off topic, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Also, in Florida in anyone has a better deal, or just a better van.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Given the history of the 6.0's, it's mileage, and it being in a van,, I'd go for the gas mill. I'd source the oil leak first so there's no surprises, but if the diesel has any issues as many do/will, it could get expensive.. Any service history is a plus when making a choice too..

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM

I too, vote for the gas van. If it would need work, much easier to find someone to work on it. In my area, a diesel either goes to the dealer for work or a shop that works on semis. Both expensive propositions.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Given the history of the 6.0's, it's mileage, and it being in a van,, I'd go for the gas mill. I'd source the oil leak first so there's no surprises, but if the diesel has any issues as many do/will, it could get expensive.. Any service history is a plus when making a choice too..
Originally Posted by Rusty Baker
I too, vote for the gas van. If it would need work, much easier to find someone to work on it. In my area, a diesel either goes to the dealer for work or a shop that works on semis. Both expensive propositions.
That was the exact information I was looking for. Thank you both very much.

Am I on the right track, in general, with wanting to go Ford? I'm mostly looking for something around 2000 year give or take, but could go up or down if there was a year that just outshines.

I am seeing, for some reason, more Dodge conversion vans in this year range for sale, but I am also seeing a lot/some for sale that have had new trannies. This, of course, makes me think that there is a tranny problem with them, but this is purely anecdotal evidence/lack there of.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Hi, diesel fuel costs are always higher than gas, I just don't see an advantage & would go with gas. The E350 with almost half the miles, definitely.
Regarding the oil leak: have been having good success using Blue Devil ( gobluedevil.com) as a main seal restore product. Of course, replacing the seal is always better, but this product line works pretty well if given a few hundred miles drivetime to do it's job. Bought a 93 E150 with a really bad main seal; in order to give the product time to work before it leaked out too much, I also used a quart of Lucas seal in replacement for one quart, since it has added viscosity. The Blue Devil product is a clear liquid. It has gone from bad to negligible & sometimes I don't see any leaks, will see how it goes in another week or two. Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:04 PM

My 1993 E 350 has a 7.3 the frt main leaked , i used black RTV all over the outside after a good cleaning . solved the leak as long as the dip stick shows half , no drips .