Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

2008 Ford edge drive transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Default 2008 Ford edge drive transmission problem

My ford edge has 38,000 miles and broke down today. I have called with complaints of problems with jerking while in low gears when accelerating after a red lights.
Today basically at the red light i went to go and the car would not engage...almost like it was in neutral. I rolled into a service station. I could put car in reverse and it would go into reverse and move but not in drive. Made all kinds of knocks and horrible jerks. Turned engine off 20 minutes restarted and drove to Ford. Am waiting for response, but they act like they have not heard of this problem. I called several months ago when it first slipped and they said the same thing.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Default Drive Transmission Problem

I had a similar problem with my 2008 Ford Edge with 80,000 Kilometers on it. My vehicle did not quit, but hesitated twice with me, and once with my wife from a dead stop.
Had it to a Transmission Shop whose input I respect (left a Ford Dealership to go out on his own, due to his experience), had the Transmission Fluid replaced, checked the system, said could find NO problems.
Took it to a local Ford Dealer to look at it and get it noted in thier computer as having a problem before the warranty ran out at 100,000 KM.
They could find no obvious problem, but they updated the computer with a TSB-08-25-13 Reprogram PCM. Will see if that does anything.
Nice to know that if vehicle quits...I can still back up off the road

Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM

For my 2008 Edge, it happened in 2010, I drove out of a parking lot, stopped at a light, and it didn't want to move. Fortunately, it was still under warranty, I called for a tow, and got a rental. The problem was in a couple of sensors tied to the throttle body. The car acted like it was missing the lower gears and the transmission seemed like it was slipping badly. New sensors, and it has been working fine ever since.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM

I have a 2008 Ford Edge w/55K on it. At 45K, it would not accelerate; acted like it was in neutral. Had it towed in; Ford said it was a bad sensor with throttle body. Now, it is jerking sometimes when shifting between 1 and 2. (automatic). Dropped it off at Ford this morning. I'll update this post later.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Default Problem with sensor in transmission

i have a 2008 ford edge limited, purchased used last november of 2012. Received a 6 month bumper to bumper warranty, i also had the same problem with the transmission (among other things)the car would not move much till it kicked in to a higher gear, took it in to ford and they changed a few sensors in the transmission, a week goes by and more problems with the drive shaft, they replaced the drive shaft, a couple of weeks go by and the wrench light comes on and the transmission was slipping, i was driving and all of a sudden it was like the car was in neutral, kept revving the rpms but the car was n ot picking up speed, brought it back and they said they could not find anything wrong, another week same thing, brought it back and this time took a test run with the mechanic, he heard what i heard in the transmission, they kept it again to run diagnostics. They replaced a few more sensors in the transmission and in the muffler system. Ok the car ran ok for a few months and not that my 6 month warranty is over it happened again, same problem, the car wont accelerate in first or second gear and the wrench light is on, now i want to know if i still have a case with ford, if its the same thing they already fixed, will i be liable for the cost of fixing the problem and is this going to happen again and again? I dont see why i would have to pay for something that was not fixed in the first place that didn't last more than a few months.Need to know, i have an appointment with them on tuesday, thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM

If you can , see if a place like Autozone can get any codes from the computer. They don't charge just to read the codes.
Post the codes here and maybe we might be able to offer a suggestion.
At least you will have some idea of the source of the problem and you might want to let them know you had the codes read if there are any.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Default clunks when engaged in reverse& skipping gears

My 2008 Edge has 126000 miles..and have experienced some of the same problems as some of the other 2008 ford Edge owners..flushed the transmission a week after purchasing..i purchased a warranty from the dealership in case of such an occasion..so i decided to take to local transmission shop to fix before things got any worse so as to not void my warranty..i filed a claim and 2 weeks later i get a call from shop that the work is complete and before they release back to me they wanted to do a test drive ..it was the end of buisness and this was on a friday..the coming monday i called to see how the inspection went and was told it did not pass inspection..im told now they installed a defective rebuilt transmission in and that their warranty will take care of the repairs on the defective transmission that they installed..i was told that this rarely happens..1 in 500 to be exact..one month into this and now im told that they are ordering a rebuilt valve body..its been over a month now and i still dont know if this will solve my problem..keeping my fingers crossed