Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Theft light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Default Theft light blinking

I bought an Escape in July. Last night I had a it wouldn't start, but once I turned the steering wheel a little it started right up . But, the anti theft light, which has never stayed on befoe started continually blinking. I followed the steps to disarm the alarm, don't know if it disarmed, but the light still blinks except when the engine is actually running.
I talked to the mechanic and he said there had probably been a lose wire that kept it from blinking before. So apparently this light should blink when the system is armed and the engine off???
He said as long as it wasn't blinking while I was driving it was ok. I asked if it blinking all night (and again last night and today because I havent gone anywhere) would affect the battery and he said no.

After all that I guess my question is, should that light alwas blink when the alarm is activated? Should it go off when the alarm is deactivated?

One more question, I've been driving a Safari van for 20 years, and in comparison this feel like a bath tub on steel wheels, is this normal beause of the small size and the 4 wheel drive? I did have to replace the tie rod ends and have the rotors turned within the first month I had, it but it still bounces me around. And yes, I did have it checked by a mechanic before I bought it.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2015, 02:16 AM

A transition from a van to a smaller vehicle can come with quite a difference. There is a BIG difference between the wheelbase of the two vehicles. Also the van most likely was not equipped to take the abuse a 4WD can sustain and therefore comes with a harsher ride.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:26 AM

Regarding the anti-theft light;
What year is the Escape, the system used differs among the years and if you don't have at least two coded keys you could wind up with some serious problems should the only key you have lose it's coding for some unknown reason.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:46 PM

Hi, sorry I forgot to show the year it's 206 XLT. And I do have two working keys.

I also have two keys I bought on line, but can't find anyone willing to cut them unless I buy keys from them.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:49 PM

As for the ride, I figured the size and four wheel drive ability were factors as you say, but I was right early on that someting was wrong (the tie rods and brake issues)

Other than that I'll just get used to the excitement of the ride. :-)