Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Battery light and whining noise matching rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Default Battery light and whining noise matching rpm's

I have an '02 V6 with front-wheel drive and 125k miles. I had a brand new battery installed in Dec. '06. I started up the car one day in early Spring, and heard a whining noise that increases and decreases in sync with the rpm's, whether idling or driving. The sound literally showed up overnight; there was no slight noise that got louder over time. It sounds exactly like the whine that you get from your power steering pump when you are low on fluid, or it's getting ready to go kaput. But, the whining is only consistent with my accelerator and not at all associated with my steering. Plus, I had them check out my power steering pump and it got a thumbs up. Also, about a month ago, my battery light started coming on every time I start my car (reminder, that I have a new battery).

My mechanic says that it could be my alternator, but that would be harder to diagnose more so than other ailments. He suggested, rather than putting up $400-$500 to fix something that may not be broken, that I continue to drive it. He said that if the alternator did go out, I could get a 'jump', the car would then run as long as I didn't shut it off, then bring it in for repair.Be thankful that I have a thoughtful mechanic, or be weary that I have a lazy mechanic? Seems as though I've had my car in for service quite a bit since I hit 120k, for varying reasons, but luckily nothing real major so far.

Any ideas, because I'd rather not end up as the commuter in a stalled car that is blocking a lane during rush hour traffic. [sm=helpout.gif]

Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Battery light and whining noise matching rpm's

If the battery/charge light is coming on consistant, that would be the place to look.. You might want to swing by one of the parts vendors and have the charge rate checked when the light is illuminated.. Most will do it for free.. You can also place a long extension/screwdriver ect.or stethoscope and place it on the alternator case for a listen, then the other components for a comparision.. If its a pronounced sound, its generally pretty easy to pinpoint the point of origin.. If the alternator fails and can't maintain a 'minimum' system voltage the car will die/stall since the electronics need a minimunm voltage to operate...