Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

DOOR AJAR PRoblem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Default DOOR AJAR PRoblem

HEy people,

First off I apologize If this subject has been posted before I am just really fustrated about thsi issue. and Don't see myself paying teh dealer to fix when i think it is something they should fix for free since I find ALOT of explorer owner are having the same problem

Vehicle

2002 Explorer XLT
V6

My hit and misses,

I tried the WD40 method with no luck I even took every door panel off and all sensors "seem: fine not stuck at all.

One thing i believe It is a short somewhere in the wiring. Because around the same tiem my passenger rear window stoped working. When I trouble shoted it I found the Ground was bad So that, temp ( Since I cut the wire and grounded it to the door frame myslef) But I still ahve my dooor ajar issue.

It happens Interm. and above 50 mph I have to drop below that to stop it i say it stops 3 out of 10 times. also makes my dome light come on. and my alarm to go off when It is parked. So in order to shut that off I turn my curtisy light swith off(the light dimmer) this is why i think it is electtrical. Also after a few miles I press on my brakes and My locks lock automatically So maybe If i follow the schematics for that I might find a brake in the wires? I just need the schematics. If anyone can help me obtain this would be AWESOME!.

So this Door Ajar Issue I belive is caused by an electrical problem. since again turning the dimmer off makes the alarm work, but I still have the chime and door ajar light on. and randomly after drinving a few mile pressing the brakes does it work properly.

again If some one can help me get schematics that would be more then appreciated. SO i can trouble shot further, I dont trust the ones sold at autozone much and cant really spent cash on buying a book of a vehicle I will end up selling sicne it is getting me more headaches then pleasure. I jsut want the next owner not to get a bad taste from our transaction

Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Smile door ajar

I have been fighting with this problem for years, what I found out, an hour ago (maybe a fluke) I hit the lock/unlock button a few times and the light went out, if thats all it takes , I'm going to be good with that

Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 PM

I posted almost the same issues...please post if you solve it. my 03 does all of the above.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Default 2003 Explorer Door ajar problem

I have had this problem for a while. Ford want to charge $350 for the door sensor parts. Talk about $10,000 hammers. I am probably forced to do this since it is very annonying.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM

i had the same problem and i put in a new alternator and all was good

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM

A lot of these functions you describe are controlled by a GEM (Generic Electronic Module) in the vehicle . Most times there isn't too much you can do with it except replace it . It is not cheap! They have incorporated many functions into a compact unit probably for their convienence ,but not good for the owner if one of the functions goes bad. It is also possible your system is getting wierd signals due to a poor connection --- somewhere.. hanky