Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turns signals do not work. Started with not working when wheel in down position.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Default Turns signals do not work. Started with not working when wheel in down position.

Any assistance you may offer will be greatly appreciated. I have a 1997 F-150. The turning signals do not work at all now. The problem started with not working in only down position of steering wheel. Now, they don't workk at all. I am aware of the wiring issue that may be the cause of my problem, that, the wires were too short. I purchased a CHILTON's manual expecting a detailed walk thru pulling the steering wheel. I do not think that I got that. So, what I am asking for is any one who has had a similar problem to tell me what he or she did. And, how to pull the steering wheel. That would be helpful.
WJR And I thank you in advance.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM

You do not have to remove the steering wheel to access the turn signal switch. Go to www.autozone.com and create a free account. They have free on-line manuals there.

Last edited by way2old; 01-04-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Default Thank you. I am on my way.

Thank You. I will hit the link you provided. Your kindness is appreciated.
Billy Rappold

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM

You may be right about the wire short, but did you check your fuse first?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Default Absolutely. I did check the fuse. I did not check the relay.

Good Day to you and thank you for any advice you can offer.

I did check the fuse, and, it is fine. I did not check the relay. As, the problem of loosing turn signal operability was intermittent and was rectified by keeping the steering wheel in the up position..until I lost the service all together..I am inclined to believe it is a wiring problem, as in, wire too short and is pulling apart from whatever...The "whatever" is what I am looking for and using forum advice I have gotten the key mechanism out and the column shrouds off, leaving me staring at the Multifunction switch and the wire connectors going into it.
My next step is to take it from there and ,after disconnecting the battery and waiting awhile, I will proceed to remove the multifunction switch and take a look at the wiring connecting plug. When I looked at the wires yesterday I saw that one of the wires had a nick in it thus exposing a bit of "copper." It "ain't" supposed to be like that. I sure as @^%% didn't do it, so, if there is a nick there, who knows what I am going to find when I get into it.

I will keep you posted.

As an aside, I was going to tackle this problem yesterday but I only had three hours left at the Naval Support Hobby Shop in New Orleans so, I post-poned that problem and went ahead and changed out the plugs. I normally change out the wires, but, I opted out and just went for the plugs. Long story short. Last plug. It is as if the wire boot is welded to the plug and is not coming off. The end breaks. Shop closes in twenty-minutes. Rebuilt the wire using some stuff in the shop and the greatly appreciated aid of the Naval Support Activity Manager Lou Seither and all is well. Gotta give it to Morale Welfare Recreation (MWR) at all of the bases and posts around the world!!