Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

89 F250 gas tank drain..??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Question 89 F250 gas tank drain..??

I have a 89 F250 with the 460.
Does anyone know a easy way to drain to gas tank. I need to get the old gas out of it.
(No drain plug that I can see, Can't run siphon hose in tank.)

Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Not knowing the amount in the tank or why you want to drain it, if it isn't more than half full have been successful just adding fresh gas. Will the truck run at all now?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Truck will not start because of bad gas I hope. I have narrowed the problem down to old gas. I replaced the fuel filter and for the heck of it filled the new filter with new gas. When I tried to start it it ran for about 10 seconds then spit and sputtered and then cut off and would not start back. I want to drain the tank to make sure I eliminate that problem.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM

In order to reduce unnecessary work do you think you could try to get some of that fuel from the line before the filter and see if it will burn? (flame test) If it won't burn, then yes, you will need to remove the contaminated with water fuel. On the other hand if it will burn, then the engine should run and adding good fuel will help. It does sound like there is water in the fuel and the filter is getting plugged with water. What do you think ?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 PM

I will try it in the next few day's and let you know.

Thanks,

Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Default Got it running

Today I drained the gas tank used very, very small siphon tube to get past that ball or whatever it is in gas filler hose. I cleared all the lines put on a new gas filter put in 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane. It started right up!

The old gas would Burn when I put a flame to it But, I guess all the stuff that is in gas now days it was to old to make truck run. I filed up three 5 gallon buckets with the old gas. (had no water in it at all) As high as gas is it will be sad to pour about 15 gallons on fire ant mounds and use it for weed killer. LOL..!!

Thanks for your suggestions they were greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
OLDxJUNK

Old 07-07-2012, 05:27 AM

You have no idea how many times gasoline was spilled on grass and didn't harm it.
If I agreed,,, here ,,, about the ant problem,, I would not be considering the environment would I ?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Hey !!!
I just had a brain fart.
You aren't located in south central Florida by any chance ? The fire ants there were really highly defensive and aggressive. Probably required hi-test to kill them !

Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM

one of the best ways to drain gas out of the tank is use the fuel pump to pump it out without having to take out tank. the next time you need try adding some fuel injector cleaner like three bottles in the tank first and see what that does first, that cleaner's a damn sight cheaper than buying a tank full of gas. by the way hello Hanky

Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Hello Mr. Grindman !
Good to see you back.

Quick Reply: 89 F250 gas tank drain..??