Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

CEL & Random Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Default CEL & Random Misfires

Ok, I will try to give the short version of this story.
I had the spark plugs replaced in my 05 F250 SD 2WD 5.4L about 10,000 miles ago. The same shop replaced the right side exhaust header that was cracked at the same time. They did a ****ty job on the header, so I might have the same quality of work done on my plugs.
But anyway. I left on a week long trip almost 2 weeks ago. Got about 300 miles in and the CEL started flashing as I was hauling butt along the interstate. Not real hills, but up hill for sure. I slowed down and it stopped, Then did it again, then stopped flashing but stayed on. Seemed to run fine as long as the CEL was not flashing. So I went an my way. the next day was new years so I didn't find a autozone open till the afternoon. The CEL was on but not flashing that day. Had them check it. They said I was getting 2 random misfire and 2 misfires on #8. After they were done the CEL came back on, but was running fine, So I went about my trip and came home. So about 2600 miles after it started, I pulled the coil and plug on what I thought was #8, Cleaned them up and reinstalled. No improvement, maybe a bit worse. then I replaced the coil with a new one. Still same thing. Then I figured out that I was messing with #4 instead of #8. Took the coil I had on #4 and put it on #8, Still no improvement. Maybe a little worse, So I took it back to AZ to get the codes scanned again. Now it was #3 and a general all misfires and O2 stuck rich. Then it really started running bad. So I replaced the O2, that made a difference, but still not right and the CEL is still on. Had them check it again. Now its misfires on P0300 & #3 & #4 & #8. I am leaning towards replacing all the plugs myself this time. they put in Champion 7989 double platinum's, I am thinking of putting in Autolite H015's. If that doesn't do it, I thought I read here somewhere that someone was having the same problem and it turned out to be the fuel pump.
Checked the price at AZ for that. The pump alone is $100 & $450 for the whole thing. I don't throw those types of darts. I cut myself off at $50 on darts or i guess $100 for plugs this time. The truck has 147,000 miles, so it could be wearing out stuff, I want to get it running like it was a couple of months ago and sell it for a bigger motor. But I would never buy something with the CEL on, can't even smog that here in this state. So I don't to try to sell it with a CEL.
I thought I should at least ask some questions before I start spending cash and turning wrenches.
That to you all think??
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 AM

For the price difference, I would stick with OEM Motorcraft plugs. Then, before getting hit in the wallet for a fuel pump, I would check and verify your fuel pressure along with the pressure while driving the vehicle (Especially when problem occurs). Since the garage had butchered up the passenger side repair. I would look to see if there are any grounding points that are not properly connected or have good contact. Fords love there "GOOD" grounds and so do the injectors.

Bank #1 (Cyl 1-4) Passenger side
Bank #2 (Cyl 5-8) Driver side

Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am not to sure about the motorcraft plugs because of the class action lawsuit on These and the header design. I have read that the autolite plugs don't get stuck as easy.
Also, I have no clue as to how I would check the fuel pressure at all let alone while driving it. I guess I would rig up some way of setting it on the hood so I could see it as I drove.
As far as the grou d strap points. I will look around and see if something didn't get hooked back up. When I say they did a s...ty job on the header. They used the wrong type of gasket and didn't tighten it down. I ended up having another shop redo the work for an additional cost.
Is there a thread on this site that has a drawing of the ground points?
Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

I am sure that you don't want to hear this but it sounds like a lot of poor work was performed, to have a proper diagnosis you need to avoid Autozone and visit your dealer.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Yes. You are correct. I did take it to the dealer after the first shop. They did a terrible job locating the problems. So bad that they didn't charge me after I asked what I was paying for. They were not able to tell me what the problem was. So I am going to try and avoid going that route. But thanks. Right now I just want to get it running good enough to sell.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:05 PM

Well I spent all day thinking about it and decided I am going to get the Motorcraft plugslike UCS says. I looked online and they are only $20 at the motorcraft site. Plus they say that they have a new design, the SP515 to replace the SP507. Which I am assuming is the one that had all the problems.
SO, get this. I call the POS dealership closest to my house, the same on that did a terrible job last time, But I figure, hey, its parts. How can you screw that up??? Well they found a way. I told the guy what I have and what I want. He says he has it in stock, $14 each. Just to make sure I ask if it is the SP515, He say no, 14fp or something, I ask if it a one or two piece plug. He says he has never seen two piece plug, So I ask if he has ever heard of the class action lawsuit against ford for this motor and plug design, He says no. He has had 2 of these motors and never had a problem.
I told him never mind.
Got home and called Napa, they don't have motorcraft, but do have Autolite for $12. seems fair. But I remember that there was a plug on the autozone site that came with the boots. so i check it again, Guess what it is.
Motorcraft SP511 w/ boots, $13.19 each.
So yes, I am going to put those in starting tonight. I don't think I will have enough sunlight, so in a couple of days (fingers crossed) I hope this problem is behind me.
THank for your help, I would have gone with the Autolites if I had not asked here.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:53 AM

Nobody likes to put salt on an open wound and it appears it is possible to happen here.
Not all, but most of the folks offering suggestions here have been there and done that.
I am referring to putting garbage into a vehicle with the intention of unloading it only to be driving it 6 months later with the hammer constantly over your head hoping the trash that was installed will hold just until it's off your hands. Most of us recommend OEM parts because we got burned using inferior stuff. There is a lot to be said for doing it right and doing it once! Let's hope you can do as planned and get it squared away and running right.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adben22
Well I spent all day thinking about it and decided I am going to get the Motorcraft plugslike UCS says. I looked online and they are only $20 at the motorcraft site. Plus they say that they have a new design, the SP515 to replace the SP507. Which I am assuming is the one that had all the problems.
SO, get this. I call the POS dealership closest to my house, the same on that did a terrible job last time, But I figure, hey, its parts. How can you screw that up??? Well they found a way. I told the guy what I have and what I want. He says he has it in stock, $14 each. Just to make sure I ask if it is the SP515, He say no, 14fp or something, I ask if it a one or two piece plug. He says he has never seen two piece plug, So I ask if he has ever heard of the class action lawsuit against ford for this motor and plug design, He says no. He has had 2 of these motors and never had a problem.
I told him never mind.
Got home and called Napa, they don't have motorcraft, but do have Autolite for $12. seems fair. But I remember that there was a plug on the autozone site that came with the boots. so i check it again, Guess what it is.
Motorcraft SP511 w/ boots, $13.19 each.
So yes, I am going to put those in starting tonight. I don't think I will have enough sunlight, so in a couple of days (fingers crossed) I hope this problem is behind me.
THank for your help, I would have gone with the Autolites if I had not asked here.

I will say that it is not uncommon for parts employees to not know about class action lawsuits regarding a part or car, unless they have done the research themselves. I see that you bought the SP511 but according to my catalogue, which you can see in the attachments your vehicle calls for the SP515. The SP511 is a completely different plug and will probably not work correctly. SP511 is also an old part number, it supersedes to an SP518.

I would suggest returning the SP511 plugs and buying the correct ones, SP515. We have them available here: #PZH14F: SPARK PLUG. The part number listed is PZH14F which is a service part number for SP515 which you can also see in the attachments. If you decide to buy the 8 plugs from us I would be happy to offer you a bit of a shipping discount, just use the coupon code FORDFORUMS during checkout. The coupon will be valid until the end of January.

I have also attached a photo of the SP515 so you can see exactly what you would be buying from us or any other retailer that is selling SP515.

Attached Thumbnails CEL & Random Misfires-plug-info.png   CEL & Random Misfires-sp515.png   CEL & Random Misfires-20160115_094816%7E2_resized.jpg  
Old 01-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LakelandFordParts
I will say that it is not uncommon for parts employees to not know about class action lawsuits regarding a part or car, unless they have done the research themselves. I see that you bought the SP511 but according to my catalogue, which you can see in the attachments your vehicle calls for the SP515. The SP511 is a completely different plug and will probably not work correctly. SP511 is also an old part number, it supersedes to an SP518.

I would suggest returning the SP511 plugs and buying the correct ones, SP515. We have them available here: #PZH14F: SPARK PLUG. The part number listed is PZH14F which is a service part number for SP515 which you can also see in the attachments. If you decide to buy the 8 plugs from us I would be happy to offer you a bit of a shipping discount, just use the coupon code FORDFORUMS during checkout. The coupon will be valid until the end of January.

I have also attached a photo of the SP515 so you can see exactly what you would be buying from us or any other retailer that is selling SP515.

thanks for the information sharing..!!

Old 01-15-2016, 07:05 PM

Thank you lakeland. That was a typo, I did get the 515 and have them installed. 2 hours to do the complete job, nice and slow and thorough. I did find that the #5 & #8 plugs were not even hand tight. So that is probably what caused the damage to the plugs themselves.
Just goes to show me again that if I want it done right, i have to do it myself.
But its done, running great. Better than it has since I took it to the shop of ill quality. I feel that I did the right thing by putting in the motorcraft plugs, and since they are the redesign, they will do great. What a pain in the butt it is working on that motor. I am 6'2" 230 and had to get up and sit under the hood to get 7&8 out. But its done, done right and I think I won't have to worry about it. Did my 5 mile test drive and no CEL, I think we are good.
Hanky, Your right. do it once, do it right. Totally agree.
Thanks for all the help!!

Attached Thumbnails CEL & Random Misfires-20160115_161735_hdr.jpg  

Quick Reply: CEL & Random Misfires