Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Trailer Running Lights quit working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Default Trailer Running Lights quit working

I have a 2003 F-350, 7.3L Powerstroke. I recently bought a new RV. The running lights work fine as well as the charging, brake lights, turn signals, trailer brakes. However, after a few hours, the running lights quit working. Then, after a few hours of being shutdown, the running lights work again. I suspect that I have a relay that is causing the problem, but, I don't know where it is located. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM

If you look at the Central Junction Box, (Fuse/relay panel) the relay is located in there.
According to my info the relay is not serviceable and the CJB may need to be replaced.

Sometimes a poor connection at the CJB can cause the problem you are seeing. It's a dog to get to , but worth the time to check it out. Make sure all the plugs are clean and no possible corrosion.
If the windshield has ever been replaced , they have been known to leak after replacement and that could have a bearing on the problem.

Last edited by hanky; 06-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Hanky,
Thanks for the response. Where will I find the CJB? I have read some posts that indicate that it is under the dash behind the radio. But, I have also seen some diagrams that indicate it is in the engine compartment on the firewall. So, where do I look?
Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trailer tow battery charge is the only 'trailer relay' that is a replaceable relay in the CJB. CJB is located under the left side of the instrument panel and laid out as Hanky mentioned as far fuses, and as a non serviceable trailer lighting relay that's integrated into the CJB..

At the times it acts up, check both the 7 and 4 pin trailer connectors for running light voltage. Check the #38 fuse (both legs) in the CJB. If not a fuse/fuse connection problem, then possibly a CJB connector issue like Hanky stated. If none of the above,,, you can always wire in a fused stand alone relay wired to trigger off the H/L switch and splice into the trailer connector/running lamp circuit rather than spend the coin for a replacement panel..

The CJB has multiple connectors on the backside. The '16 pin connector' will have circuit for the trailer running lights. If the fuse/fuse connections are good, and the BN/WH wire coming out of the connector proves to not have a lamp output voltage, the relay is probably done..