Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

98 e150 quigley quadra super trak van torque converter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Default 98 e150 quigley quadra super trak van torque converter question

hello everyone i have a question. i need to change my torque converter i know how to do that but just wondering if it could be bad because of another faulty part? no codes so guessin tcc is good. i know its been used to do some towin before i got my hands on it. just not tryin to change it more than once is what im lookin for

Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM

As an example of what you are asking is like my asking you if something is hurting my foot should I change my shoe.
I have no idea what the problem is relating to the torque converter with out some addl info. Why do you feel the tc needs to be changed and what kind of problem is it having or causing ?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM

ok leaning towards the tc for a reason that im doubting now. seems to run fine until it heats up then it shifts hard and it seems to upshift to soon it bogs down and has barely any power. the van will start to feel like its stuttering without it sounding like its missing. i take my foot off of the accelerator and the idle stays high for a different amount of time each time. then ill hear it kick down and some times kick back up like its running through the gears as im coasting. if im coasting downhill it seems to be kicking down into the wrong gear and be holding me back causing me to lose speed pretty fast. almost sounds like its going to backfire but never does. and it will shimmy going downhill also which leaned me towards the tc but now its seeming like something else

Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 AM

From what you describe , it sounds like your vehicle may have an engine performance problem. For starters,
When were the spark plugs replaced ? Fords perform best with Motorcraft spark plugs. You can use other brands and they work, but not as good as Motorcraft. Been there. What kind of maintenance has been performed ?
Are you getting a check engine light at any time? Also, is the overdrive light on the shift lever blinking at any time? If you have received any of these signals, you might want to have somebody like Autozone check your vehicle for any codes that might be stored in the vehicle's computer.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:34 AM

Already ran codes none stored and none tripped. No od fflashing for tranny codes. Trying to get ahold of a scanner that will do individual cylinder history. Got ahold of one that has drive mode but doesnt get that extensive. Planned on changing the plugs here in a cpl days. And yes ive heard of the difference between autolite and motorcraft plugs. are you thinkin low range spark issue? Very puzzling for me because of the way its affecting my shifting. Changed the tranny filter the fluid was dark brown with barely a red tint to it. Only changed 6 and 1/2 of the 19 quarts was wonderin if theat couod be the problem.