Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

For the 2nd time in 4 months, 2013 Fusion won't unlock, start or run electronics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Default For the 2nd time in 4 months, 2013 Fusion won't unlock, start or run electronics.

2003 Ford Fusion Titanium, ~35,000 miles.

I got this car from CarMax at the beginning of August. After about 5 weeks of no problems, one day the car wouldn't unlock, start, show the electronics, or anything.

AAA came to try and jump it, and said there was plenty of voltage, but something wasn't taking to the engine.

Had it towed to the dealer, who eventually replaced the Body Control Module, which got it running again. They said the car wouldn't recognize the key, and had to reset everything.

Six weeks later and the same thing has happened. The car won't recognize key, and won't unlock, turn on, start, run electronics, etc.

Obviously something is causing the issues with the BCM. Any ideas what's going on? Any idea who to talk to? I can take it back to the dealer, but I can't just keep replacing this $700 part, and they weren't very helpful the first go round.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:40 PM

I had a similar issue with my 2013 Fusion SE. My car would unlock, and I could turn the key but it wouldn't turn over. Via forums, I found there were multiples cars that needed an "electrical restart" (taking the battery terminals off and then replacing). I now carry a wrench in my car so I can always take the terminals off and replace them. I took my car to the dealership and had them to a diagnostic on the car, of course, they saw no problems, so I had them put a note on my account of the issue. It has happened 3 other times since. The dealer asked me to have the car towed there when it happened but I have been out of town each time and towing wasn't an option. So now I am waiting for it to happen again so I can show them how "dead" the car really is.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Electronics are great when they work !!!!
When they decide to do something else like work when they want to or not work at all they can drive us nuts.
The fact that a forced reset temporarily corrects the problem is an indication that what ever is causing the problem takes place when the vehicle is being driven and something like this can be found instantly or take a lot of time and effort to find.
Some techs may have come across the problem in the past and find the cause sooner and some that haven't had the problem before will need more time to pin it down.
It is understandable your patience is running thin ,but this comes with the territory of electronic wizardry.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 AM

Sometimes I thing these just "Go To Sleep". Our 2016 Fusion will unlock all of the doors with just 2 pushes of the remote, sometimes 3-4. Every now and then you may have to turn the key 2-5 times to get a start signal to start the engine. I just go "What ever". Our Freestar would remote unlock every time all week long. But let it set over the week-end and you would have to push the unlock button 4-6 times before it would go "Oh...OK" and unlock the drivers door. After getting "WOKE" up, it would be fine....