Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

twice repaired.....and power steering system still leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Default twice repaired.....and power steering system still leaking?

Hello,

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. My power steering was leaking for months so I brought it in for repair in November 06' They replaced the pressure hose. I took it home and noticed it was still leaking.

I took it back to the repair shop, and they said it was now the power steering pump/ reservoir. They replaced it free of charge and only charged me labor.

Thye said they didn't think the steering gear was leaking.

I took it home and again noticed it was leaking immediately.

I don't understand why they did not do some kind of dye test to look for any additional leaks. By returning to them a third time, this will cost me more labor charges than if they had resolved all leaks on the first visit.

I am thinking I might take it to another repair shop to ensure that it is resolved in one more visit. I might get into a conflict with the current place over additional labor charges.

Any other area where the leak might be coming from?

I was also disappointed to see a "remanufactured" sticker on the new pump. I know rebuilt parts are often defective right out of the box.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Default RE: twice repaired.....and power steering system still leaking?

probably your head

Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 AM

Hey 1954 Ford,

Why did you join this site?Did it ever occur to you that some users of this site are worried aboutpotentially expensive problems with their cars........or that they may be stranded without transportation? Go to a chat site where you belong with the other teenagers.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM

The steering gear box may very possibly be leaking! the are known for the seals to go out and if that is the case you will have to replace the entire box.