Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

po430

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Default po430

2005 duratec. Can I cut off the converter and just replace with straight pipe, or will the engine light be permanently on? does this thing have 2 converters? If i buy a converter from autozone for $100, can I clamp it on, or do I have to find someone to weld it?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:37 AM

Don't need to know where you live, but does your state have any type vehicle emission inspection program ? If it does, you may not be able to get the vehicle inspected or worse not have it pass an emission inspection. Cannot offer any suggestions where you would be violating any laws. If the vehicle is in decent shape and you plan to hold on to it for a while suggest you fix it once and do it right . It is cheaper in the long run. Some Fords use info from after the converter for fuel control and it could really mess things up, then correction gets really expensive.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Default after market converter

Now this midas muffler shop said they could put a after market on, but it might not burn the exhaust enough to make the computers parameters and the light will stay on. Whats a good converter brand?What could I put on in the driveway? I can't weld.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Here again, that shop is leaving themselves an out for doing something they can't guaranty. I realize you are looking for an economical solution, but sometimes there is no silver bullet to cure certain problems. Some aftermarket stuff will do and most of the time it won't. The code directs the diagnostics to bank 2. Just replacing parts for the sake of replacing stuff can get expensive and doesn't always solve the original problem.

If you can , try reading up on what that code says and what could cause it to come up. Hopefully, it will save you some $$$$ and enlighten you to what the other causes could be and possibly save you some grief.

Last edited by hanky; 12-17-2015 at 09:30 AM.