Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

'96 Taurus transmmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Default '96 Taurus transmmission

The transmission on our '96 Taurus went out. It stopped pulling in any gear. Before it quit it would lose pulling power after making a sharp turn, as though it had come out of gear, then re-engage with a jerk after completing the turn. I had a similar experience several years ago with a Crown Vic. that someone had changed the filter and left out the gasket between the filter and valve body. It would suck air upon turning, then re-engage with a bang after the car leveled off. The Taurus filter is made differently and doesn't bolt to the valve body. Anyway, I had the trans. rebuilt. I assisted, but have little transmission knowledge. We put in a new torque converter, pump shaft, pump and valve body, band, filter and clutch pack. It works well as far as shifting, etc., but still loses power on making a sharp turn, such as turning into a driveway or onto a narrow street. Anyone have this happen? Any ideas why? I haven't had a chance to get back to the mechanic yet. Before it quit altogether, he thought is might be a filter problem. Evidently he was wrong.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM

Does it do this whether you are turning right or left or just only one direction?

Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 PM

Just confirming a simple item, was the filter seal installed when the filter was replaced?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Default '96 Taurus transmission

Does it either way, most noticeable at low speeds. Seal was installed.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 AM

Did you check for any trans codes?
You might consider checking the pump pressure at the tap on the top of the trans just over the valve body cover.
It could be something like a broken wire that loses contact when the trans moves while turning. If the pressure control loses the signal it could drop the signal to the rest of the hydraulic systems.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:36 PM

If we start from the beginning,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This problem was present before the "rebuild" and was still present after the rebuild, is this correct?
Among the items you might want to confirm are functioning correctly would be;
Power Steering Pressure Switch
Trans Range sensor
There are two pressure taps on the top of the trans,if you are looking at the trans from over the driver's side fender, the forward most one, is the EPC, (electronic pressure control) tap and the tap to the rear is the line pressure tap. If you can hook up a pressure gauge to either one or both and see if you loose pressure when turning
the steering wheel it will help eliminate a possible pressure problem. Can we do this?
Has any accessory been added to the vehicle that could interfere with electric signals ?

Old 12-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Default '98 Taurus transmission

I will get with the mechanic and see if he can do a pressure check, I don't have the gauges or specs. This car has an aftermarket stereo and had some other sound equipment that was removed before we got it. This should have been a red flag to me, as every car I've ever had that had electrical problems has had some aftermarket electronics installed. I thought this car would be an upgrade from the wife's '86 Grand Marquis. Maybe not. The old Merc had engine control problems that several mechanics couldn't figure out. This one runs OK, but has other issues.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:12 PM

Maybe we might be able to be of some help and determine what is happening, sometimes we get lucky !