Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

help with 97 tbird

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Default help with 97 tbird

Hello everyone, I'm new here anyways... few days ago my room mate bought a 97 tbird lx 3.8 *im jealous lol* It runs great but had to warm up for a bit then drive. The engine would stall just little bit when park, also if hit the gas it would stall lil bit then when it hits over 10 mph it runs really smooth. So i was wondering if its a minor problem and could easily hopefully just a little part. Thanks for ur help!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 AM

over 170 views and nothing????

Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM

One of the first things I would check is the EGR system. An EGR valve with a piece of carbon stuck at the orifice could prevent the orifice from closing completely. The orifice should be completely closed at idle. At higher RPMs it 's opening is controlled and that might be why it runs better at a higher RPM. You might check all the vacuum hoses too !

Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Does it smooth and run better if you 'slightly' lift the RPM up with the peddle in park at idle? No stall?

Along with EGR, the throttle plate and bore sometimes will be coated with gunk that can be cleaned off with a soft brush and spray throttle body cleaner. Could be the IAC (idle air control) motor on the throttle body, plugged/restricted or failing. Also, sometimes the sensing elements within the Mass Air Flow Sensor will conduct debris on the wire and cause running concerns.

Any Check Engine Light?

By stall, your referring to a flat spot in the throttle, not a misfire, correct?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
One of the first things I would check is the EGR system. An EGR valve with a piece of carbon stuck at the orifice could prevent the orifice from closing completely. The orifice should be completely closed at idle. At higher RPMs it 's opening is controlled and that might be why it runs better at a higher RPM. You might check all the vacuum hoses too !
Thanks for the reply Sorry if it sounds stupid, but what is EGR valve and where do I check it? I'm not engine expert.... but I can do small repairs if given directions.

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Does it smooth and run better if you 'slightly' lift the RPM up with the peddle in park at idle? No stall?

Along with EGR, the throttle plate and bore sometimes will be coated with gunk that can be cleaned off with a soft brush and spray throttle body cleaner. Could be the IAC (idle air control) motor on the throttle body, plugged/restricted or failing. Also, sometimes the sensing elements within the Mass Air Flow Sensor will conduct debris on the wire and cause running concerns.

Any Check Engine Light?

By stall, your referring to a flat spot in the throttle, not a misfire, correct?
Thanks for replying... yes it does run better if i hit gas little bit while park. no stall at all.

Yes there's check engine light... but i guess its very common for vehicles those days. So ill have to replace oxygen sensors later on.

Yup, not a misfire, i need to add something, sometimes it would be hard to start.... sometimes it would take a few seconds to start, sometimes right away.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM

nevermind.... i found them. *thanks to google*