Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

Tbird Fuel Pump and More...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Default Tbird Fuel Pump and More...

I just got my 1991 Thunderbird v6, 3.8 back from a local shop where the diagnosis was that I needed to replace a fuel pump. I had that done to the tune of over $600 (which seemed pretty high as compared to others I've talked with who have had electric fuel pumps changed in their cars).

So my first question is, any thoughts on what an electric fuel pump replacement should cost for this car? My second issue is that since I got the car back, it's making some sort of a growling sound coming from the rear end. I'm not sure if it's a bearing sound or something else but the sound wasn't there when I took the car in and the shop is telling me the two aren't related (fuel pump and new issue). If I pull over with the car idling, the noise goes away so I'm pretty sure it's not engine related. I mentioned the fact that it wasn't doing this when I brought it into you guys (at the shop) and they assured me it wasn't anything they did and offered to take a look if I wanted to bring it back.

The car has 85,000 original miles on it and ran great until I took it into the shop. I thought I might post this to get any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM

If they installed a Ford fuel pump assy, yes they can cost that much installed. Different parts of the country can cost more or less .
From what you describe, it does not sound like anything related to the job of replacing the pump.
It is possible something got bent near a wheel or driveshaft that could be responsible for the noise and that might be what is happening. Since the shop is willing to recheck and if it is something they were responsible for , they can easily correct that.
You can always ask them to let you know what they think the cause might be before agreeing to any addl work. They probably would want to keep you as a customer, what do you think?