Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2 fuel pump to 1 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Default 2 fuel pump to 1 fuel pump

Is it possible to go from a 2 pump system to a 1 pump system? This is an 88' E250 with the 5.8 duel tanks. I'm gonna replace my rear tank and sending unit and was wondering if changing to a high pressure in-tank pump and taking out the rail pump was feasable? I'm also gonna try to by-pass the fuel switch so the side tank is no longer used. I don't have the money to replace it atm.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM

they did away with that system in 89 or 90 but I I'm not sure of exactly when they did it. if you want to use only the rear tank why not set the switch on the rear and put a couple of screws in the door of the front tank that way one can't put any fuel in that tank. the switch also controls a valve mounted on the frame rail next to the pump. that valve also sends the unused portion back to the tank that is being used. if you bypass the that switch it may not run like it should. it would leave a gap in the fuel line that in most cases can't be fixed due to the pressure of the pump. welcome to the sight

Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM

I've been having issues finding the switch for the fuel tanks. Also this model doesn't have any electronics in the switch. It has a flap that moves over and seals the other line so fuel doesn't bleed to the other tank. Even a rebuild kit would work if I can find one. I thought about putting a fuel filter on these lines to bypass it and keep the fittings intact for possible use in the future. The switch under the dash is just to switch sending units and tank fuel pumps. This is an old work van of mine that I don't wanna dump alot of money on. Just wanna have something to haul junk around camping.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 AM

that valve is controlled by the switch. if you really had the time and wanted to you could go to a salvage yard and find one with the single tank and install it with the all the lines going to and from that tank. then all you would have to do is figure out what wires feed power to it and and wires that will go to the gauge

Old 05-17-2014, 03:07 PM

I got my new tank and sending unit in. Gonna install them in the next few days as weather will permit. I'm going to see if a fuel filter will install in the fittings in place of the tank switch so I can by-pass it. This fuel tank is bare metal. Is there a good paint to use before I install it? Was thinking underbody paint or maybe some of that new sealing paint like the stuff from 'As seen on TV'.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Got the tank and new sending unit installed. Had to make a by-pass on the under dash switch to get it to hit the rear tank electronics. The fuel filter is too small to work as a by-pass on the tank switch on the van frame. It would work on the return line but not the line heading to the engine. So now I need to find a coupling that would just plug into the female fuel line fittings or cut the lines and splice em with a ****** fitting. I really don't wanna cut the lines incase I ever wanna go back to a duel tank set-up and can find the correct switch for the frame mount.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:10 PM

K ended up having to replace the frame rail pump. It was running but very weak pressure. After priming it quite a few times it started. Was very rough at first but then idled decent. Not bad for 10 years of sitting. Got a few odds and ends but the beast is at least growling. BTW I cut lines to the reservior to by-pass it. Those ****** couplings for fuel injection lines don't slide all the way on and getting a hose clamp to work isn't the best solution.