General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

To flush or not to flush?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Default To flush or not to flush?

I have a 2001 Explorer 4.0 SOHC. 2wd. with 116k miles. I purchased it in October and no history on it. So I'd like to do some maint. on it. Is it better to flush the transmission or to do a pan drop? Does a flush really clear and clean out the transmission and filter/screen?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM

This is only my opinion, but the material that has settled to the bottom of the trans pan is best cleaned by removing the pan and filter cleaning the pan and installing the new filter . Some transmissions have a plug on the torque converter that you can remove and drain that too. I would not be willing to take the chance to stir all that material up and give it a chance to get into the valve body and solenoids. If you can't drain the torque converter, again in my opinion, a few thousand miles later change the fluid and filter again. When you drop the pan the second time you will know right away if there was much stuff in the converter. Don't be disappointed if the pan looks like you just cleaned it.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 PM

If you're interested in really flushing it, see if you can take it somewhere to someone that can use a trans flushing machine. These do a 1-1 oil transfusion, and can really do a great job of flushing out all the old fluid. If you're a perfectionsist, the take the pan off, clean up the clutch material, and then get it flushed.
Just don't use any of the chemicals on the trans when flushing; they can hurt more then help a tranny with milage onit.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 AM

I second what "greasemark" said...

If you plan on keeping the Explorer for quite a while, I would drop the pan, clean the pan and replace the filter. Then top the tranny fluid off. Then I would take it to a shop and have them do the 1-1 fluid exchange. This would give you many more years of service. The extra cost of dropping the pan, topping it off and then doing a fluid exchange is well worth it to know that it was done right. Just remember to tell the shop that you just want a "1 for 1 FLUID EXCHANGE" with NO CHEMICAL FLUSHING".

Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Default Thanks.

Thanks for the advice and info. Think I'll go with a pan drop. Just nervous about it because I had a fluid change on my '95 Eplorer a few years ago and afterwards, in cold weather the transmission would take a few seconds to engage and hit hard when it did. Asked around about this and was told that fluid used today is thinner than the original. Idk. But will look into it somemore to make sure the right fluid is used. I don't use that mechanic anymore because of some other issues I had with them. Glad there are ppl out there like yourselves.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM

I don't use that mechanic anymore because of some other issues I had with them

I'm sorry to hear that. I try to bring the best I can, and sometimes (sad to say), I've not lived up to it. But, I apolgize, get the problem fixed, and give the customer a well-fixed car. That's our job.
It's odd that you mentioned the slamming into gear on the '95 Exploder. That is usually caused by sticking valves in the valve body (and one in particular) and I've personally rebuilt a ton of these, and use standard old Mercon V, and away they go. I don't think the oil is a real problem. Could be wrong; it's happened before!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 PM

I just got my first trany flush 3 weeks ago,, i always droped the pan in the past..

B4 i got the flush i did not know anything about how it was done, its just a easy way to replace most of the trany fluid. they dont back feed cleaner or use any kind of pump to flush out the system, it feeds it self using the pump in the trany.

droping the pan,,,cleaning it and adding a new filter i think is better,, and cheaper