General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my 2001 windstar won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Default my 2001 windstar won't start

Hello all, first post here;

Windstar has been acting up lately (surging) and OBD II codes reading EGR insufficient flow and bank 1 too lean so I replace the EGR valve and 02 sensor. Cleared the codes and the same ones came back on after new parts installed.

Then, couple of times driving around town I got in and turned the key and no start. The next day turned the key, all panel lights come on; turn all the way and all panel lights black out with NO noise whatsoever coming from under the hood ie.... starter clicking, fuel pump humming, etc.

Got in the manual (Haines) and diagnosed the starter by running wire from the POS battery terminal to Solenoid and starter fired the engine right up. Starter and Solenoid are good, Right?

Moved on to the ignition switch, diagnosed it w/ multimeter per the manual... good.
Then to the Transaxle relay thingie aka "neutral safety switch" from autoZone; checked the harness w/multimeter per the manual and it's good. Replaced the Neutral safety switch and still got the same problem.

Checked the fuel pump shut-off, the ignition switch relay, most other relays by switching like ones around and all fuses in the engine compartment and inside the cab box.

After using the search feature I have come up with a few more possible culprits;
Smartlock?, coil, voltage regulator, ignition control module? Could the starter solenoid still be bad? Now when I "hot wire" the starter it will crank but the engine will not start.

Any Ideas before I give in and take it to the "Dreaded Dealer"?

Thanks in advance,

JB