Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

1998 Windstar windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Default 1998 Windstar windshield wipers

Son turned on wipers with full windshield of snow and ice now drivers side wiper hangs low and you have to pick up and place on windshield. Sometimes if you put them on low intermittent they will be ok other times passenger side wiper goes over drivers side wiper knots up have to stop untangle them and hope for the best. I called local dealership for a new motor they said they no longer have them and that I should go to junk yard and get one. Motor really works fine just seems like whatever controls drivers side arm is not working right. Any suggestions? I just bought this van from person in neighborhood who is neat clean freak, van looks like just driven off showroom floor inside and out and only 79,000 miles. My favorite van totaled when I was hit head on, still recuperating year and half later so hopefully not a lot of standing involved I still don't do that very well! Thanks for any help.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 AM

If you lift the driver's side wiper arm up off the windshield all the way,you should see a movable clip that if you lift it to the up position you will be able to remove the wiper arm off from the serrated driver nut. Look inside the wiper arm hole and if it is stripped out it will need to be replaced. Also check the serrated driver nut on the wiper linkage. They are pretty tough and unless stripped out will perform OK. Usually all that is required is to replace the wiper arm and press it down on the driver nut and lock it there and return the wiper arm to it normal position on the windshield.
When installing the arm have the wipers make one or two cycles then shut them off and they should go to the park position. Now place the new wiper arm on the serrated nut so the wiper is in the right position when parked. Lock the retainer tab and place the wiper back on the windshield carefully then try it for operation. If OK then you're done. If it is in the wrong position repeat the previous steps to locate the arm until it is satisfactory.
Let us know if that solves the problem.