Aspire/Festiva/Fiesta Possibly one of the original "sub compacts" this car offered amazinf fuel economy.

blower motor switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Unhappy blower motor switch

i found out part of my problem with my blower motor. the switch fell apart in my hand. where do i get a new one or do i have to get a used one from the junkyard? and how do i test the rest of the system? it looks like it is ground switched but when i try to bypass it nothing happens. the other part was a green crustys on the relay. damn stupid place to put the relays.

Last edited by fastonraceday; 09-14-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 PM

checked everything else. if i put the jumper wire on the black wire and touch it to the blue/white wire i get high speed, if i touch the black and the blue wire i get medium speed, and black with blue and yellow gets slow speed. now i just need a switch and i haven't been able to find a source for a new one yet. anyone out there know where to get a new one?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Plenty of used, and a NOS control assembly if AC on eBay

Last edited by Hayapower; 09-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:08 PM

it is a 1995 ford aspire and i didn't want to buy a whole a/c heater control assembly just a new switch.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:07 PM

i guess i will have to go to the wrecking yard since nobody can answer me

Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

I’d get the part number from Ford, then do a net search by PN. I’d bet someone has a NOS switch somewhere. Searching by description can get confusing, fan switch, blower switch etc brings up to many possibilities even when listing model/year..

Last edited by Hayapower; 10-11-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 PM

i fixed the old switch the contacts were dirty and it went back together with a hot glue gun works great.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:25 AM

Blower motors pull quite a bit of power and that is why most will use a relay just for hi speed. When the blower motor with the other 3 speeds pulls too much amps, the switch overheats and it's downhill from there. . If you remove the blower motor you can tell if it is too hard to rotate, should be very easy..
Sometimes if stiff to turn, have managed to get a drop of oil to the bearings , saved replacing a motor. The outside end is usually sealed, but if necessary, have drilled a very small hole in the end where armature bearing is located and managed to get a drop of oil in there and worked fine. Especially if motor is hard to get.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 PM

the heater stuff is back together. now on to the radio, the wires were stripped and twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape so i cut all the bad stuff out and am going to solder and shrink wrap the whole thing. and i kept getting a airbag light so i took off the steering wheel and low and behold the wires were broken right where it plugs into the clockspring, back to pull and save to look. does anyone know where i can get a new clockspring? the dealer says it is obsolete and all one piece.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:36 PM

i took the switches off the steering column and they were covered with hair and soda pop and dirt. i cleaned them really carefully and reinstalled everything including the clock spring and everything works i am missing some screws to bolt everything together properly but it is together for now. i also need the wiring harness that connects the airbag and horn to the clockspring. i should be able to get that at pull and save. but it will have to wait for payday.

Quick Reply: blower motor switch